modular etc etc

- ask away
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: modular etc etc

Post by skept »

isaaclevy wrote:[besides doepfer ones]
is there something wrong with these ones?
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

not that i know, i was just wondering why i dont see them so often.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i thought the doepfer ones were crappy... really thin connectors and felt like they would fail quite quickly. I also remember my system sounding less noisey when I changed to ad infinitum ones.

I like the ad infinitum ones, they are cheap and fully moulded (as in the cable and connector is all made of the same piece of plastic, so you can store them in a huge pile and not damage when you pull them out of the pile, or if you accidentally snag them or similar.

I'm not bothered about cable memory, but that's just me.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:i thought the doepfer ones were crappy... really thin connectors and felt like they would fail quite quickly. I also remember my system sounding less noisey when I changed to ad infinitum ones.

I like the ad infinitum ones, they are cheap and fully moulded (as in the cable and connector is all made of the same piece of plastic, so you can store them in a huge pile and not damage when you pull them out of the pile, or if you accidentally snag them or similar.

I'm not bothered about cable memory, but that's just me.
but have you got any AS cords bro ?

yes doepfer ones are crap.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Haven't used them. I'm not too sure how I feel. From what I've heard minijacks are imperfect connectors and you're never going to get a perfect match between both the jack or the connector, but the ad inifinitum ones seem to work for all the connectors in my system. (bantam jacks are supposed to be the most luxury patchable connectors)

I have a row of Wiard 300 modules which have all the jacks underneath the pots, so all the cables are kept out of the way of the pots anyway and just form a big mess. And most of the connections I have near enough memorised. (that never works live though when you're stressed out and have forgotten everything and the mixer is clipping and you didn't double check everything before you started). Maybe should think about the AS ones.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Doepfer are sh!t. I bought a small lot of 6 inch black ones and I'm slowly getting rid of them. I don't know how you can fck up a cable, but they did somehow. That shouldn't be a reflection of their modules though. I've got loads of Doepfer.

Almost all my cables are Ad Infinitum. When I need more, I'll buy from them. If you're in Europe, I'd try out the AS ones.

On a semi-related note, I had two friends over last night that never saw a modular before and as far as I know, never used a synth before. They sat in front of it twiddling knobs for two hours straight until I told them I was tired of listening to them. One of them text messaged twice about it today. Apparently he has an idea for re-doing the stage music on Mario Bros.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

You have ruined your friend.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

oblioblioblio wrote:Haven't used them. I'm not too sure how I feel. From what I've heard minijacks are imperfect connectors and you're never going to get a perfect match between both the jack or the connector, but the ad inifinitum ones seem to work for all the connectors in my system. (bantam jacks are supposed to be the most luxury patchable connectors)

I have a row of Wiard 300 modules which have all the jacks underneath the pots, so all the cables are kept out of the way of the pots anyway and just form a big mess. And most of the connections I have near enough memorised. (that never works live though when you're stressed out and have forgotten everything and the mixer is clipping and you didn't double check everything before you started). Maybe should think about the AS ones.
If it wasnt for AS cables i seriously doubt i could play live with my rig, i actually have hundreds of cables now, ive never had any fail in two years and never had a single bad connection (or with the Ad Infinitum ones either)

if a cable is lying across a module that needs a lot of tweaking, you just move it to the side and it stays there. you cant do that with AI cables.
if you've not used AS cables you just cant know how important this is, especially as your rig gets bigger and the amount of cables escalates exponentially. i use almost all of my cables all the time and the few that are left hanging on the wall of my studio are all Ad Infinitum ones. they dont work for me at all.

i know, totally anal