modular etc etc

- ask away
kenah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: modular etc etc

Post by kenah »

Does anyone carry information about the Analogue Solution Synthesizer like the Tereshkova / Vostok / Telemetry or Telemark ? I am interesed in starting modular .
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kenah wrote:Does anyone carry information about the Analogue Solution Synthesizer like the Tereshkova / Vostok / Telemetry or Telemark ? I am interesed in starting modular .
i dont know anyone who has any of those, the Analogue Solutions site is the only place i can think of for info.

i would advise anyone starting out with modular to think about building a basic system with Doepfer modules to get a start.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

For anyone interested, here's an updated list of my modules and what I think will be the final configuration (of this case).

Oscillators/LFO:
Cwejman VCO-6
Tip Top Z3000 MKI
Harvestman Piston Honda
Synthesis Technology E340 Cloud Generator
Doepfer A-143-3 Quad LFO
Doepfer A-145 LFO

Filters/Wave Folder/Wave Shaper:
Cwejman DMF-2 LPF/BPF
Tip Top Z2040 LPF
Doepfer A-102 LPF
Bubblesound CVWS WaveShaper
STG Wavefolder

Sequencing:
Expert Sleepers ES-3 (Logic/Numerology as main sequencer)
4ms Rotating clock divider
Doepfer A-151 Quad Switch
Doepfer A-162 Trigger Delay

Envelopes, VCA's, Other Stuff:
Doepfer A-132 Dual VCA x 2
Make Noise Maths x 2
Doepfer A-180 multipes x2
Doepfer A-140 ADSR Envelope
Tip Top 808 Hats

I'm quite happy with the current setup which has taken me almost 3 years to complete. I've probably sold and replaced half the case along the way, but that's the only way to really learn what you like and what works. I wish I had another continuous 4hp for another A-151, but that can go in case #2.

The cloud generator and 808 hats are my two most recent purchases. The hats are really awesome. Pair them with a clock divider and sequential switch and they are so fun. The cloud generator I'm getting used to more and more. Initially, I was trying to do more sustained sounds, but I like it more with quicker envelopes. Crank up the spread and you can get these really nice plucked string sounds.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Nice set up. I loved the Cloud Generator in sine mode for dreamy textures.

My latest acquisition has been a Hinton Instruments Switch Mix module plus Trimmer. It's really changed the way I make patches, allowing for a very detailed amount of control, by mixing modulation sources to control VCAs, filters, pitch, waveshape. Matrix mixing is something that is quite rarely seen in modular systems, and never correctly implemented (usually passive summing which doesn't give much room to explore), but for me the SwitchMix is really essential in providing a 'trunk' from which all the branches and stems can grow from.

I'm adding more percussion modules to my system, after getting to a point where I can do drones and textures. I thought about Roland clone modules, but I would rather do it with dedicated open ended ordinary modules so I can really explore it as part of an evolving modular patch.

I got an Octatrack recently after getting all excited about sampling, but after an initial burst of excitement I thought how great it would be to control it with CV and to do it with midi control would have cost more in hardware than the Octatrack itself!
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

I'm going to add more dedicated percussion modules at some point. I'm thinking 808 snare and clap and possibly the 909 kick once it comes out. However, I'm quite happy with the kick drums I've been making and recording from scratch and I don't really desire it. Plus, I'd want more variety out of a dedicated kick module. I bought and sold the blue lantern kick because it was too harsh and couldn't tune lower than a slightly sharp A.

I'd like to start another case around two of the upcoming Xaoc Mowska sequencers and a bunch of doepfer utility modules. Don't know when that's going to happen, but that's the plan.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

When I say dedicated drum modules I just mean ordinary oscillators and filters. I've been working really intensively with linear FM with dynamic depth and I want to have the same range of control with percussion and low frequencies that I do with my other tonal ranges. And I don't think a dedicated module would allow this depth of control and tonal range.

The SwitchMix is quite interesting for rhythmic work, as you can combine envelopes with the other modulation sources. So, if you have an envelope on the downbeat, you can add it to lots of things in small amounts, so instead of an obvious thud or smash, you can make a drum by making everything else swell, like FM amount and filter cutoff on several different sounds.

I actually think the Doepfer 155 and 154 is the Sequencer to beat in euro, at least in terms of functionality. The size and implmentation seemed a little funny to me. I find multiple rows wasteful as I like to have everything independent rather than values tied together. I also found the stage address function wierdly calibrated, like logarithmic or something, and couldn't get it to work intuitively in my set, maybe I wasn't patient enough or there was a workaround. Stage Addressed sequencing is great for me though, love it.
deccard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by deccard »

i´m having a lot fun with an anti-osc + borg filter + noise modulating the vca as hi-hats.
techno made me do it
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

Anti Osc plus Borg is constantly patched up in my system.

I'm also planning to use some Borg filters in combination with the Woggle Bug, like so:

http://www.365patches.com/2012/07/water-percussions/