echo audiofire 12

- ask away
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

yep, its well confusing the control panel. doesnt seem to be any inputs. i need to read the manuel cause my outboard synths are coming well quite and i cant work out how to turn the master down without turning the synths down.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Just got one more question for you bro... the recording input level is really low comparred to my last soundcard and I cant change the input level on the mixer ( just from the source) is this because there is no preamps?
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

really low ?

I never had that problem.
I never really noticed a big difference between my Echo and my Apogee soundcards either.

what are you recording, synths or mic ?
I only recorded synths through my audiofire8,
I'm not a big fan of lyrics, and if I use a human voice in tracks, it's always a sample from somewhere, heavily mutulated.
The one or two times I had to record from a mic, I could use one of the front inputs, which did have a pre-amp.
I just compared specs between the 8 and the 12 and I see the audiofire12 doesn't have any inputs like that, so yeah, if you're recording mics, it would seem logic that would probably be the cause of the problem, no ?

It seems strange that echo designs a 12 inputs version and leaves out the pre-amps, while they do integrate it in the 8 inputs version.
That doesn't make sense to me :?

do these go through a mixer of any kind ?
I have a small mixer (16 channels), and even though I use it less and less, I still never wanna go completely mixer-less, it just proves to be too handy once in a while.

can't you "solve" the problem in the sequencer ?
for instance maybe adding a gain plugin on the track to bring up the signal ?
or does that give you a too much degraded signal in the end ?

oh yes, and that control panel.
I remember when I used my audiofire's, I was all too happy to just have it set up the way I wanted it too work, and then never have to open it again as much as possible,
cause every time I opened it up and try to change settings, I was scratching my head all the time and going "now why the fck isn't anything happening when I press this ? so where exactly is that parameter, on the other tab, uhh, no, aaarrrgh.... !!!"
It seemed like a very buggy mthrfckr too, that control panel.

This is so much better with the Apogee : cristal clear to find your way around it, very reactive,
I love working with it.

sorry if I couldn't be of much more help to you. :oops:
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Yeah really low... recording synths straight into the inputs, no microphones. Gain control in the sequencer makes it sounds rubbish yeah.

I'm either going to send it back and get the ones with presamps audiofire8) or get a small mixer like the zed 14, just so I can increase the input level.
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

well, I still got my audiofire8 for sale if you're interested.
though I'm not sure whether shipping it to the UK would make much sense.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

30 day returns policy from the place where I ordered the 12 from. ;)
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

I'm still trying to figure out why the input signal is so low.

are you sure it's not simply the +4/-10 setting you gotta adjust ?
(and apologies if I'm stating something obvious)
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

I think its because there are no preamps inside the soundcard. The 12 is just a bunch of ins, with nothing else when normally as far as i'm aware a soundcard has preamps which allow you to control the input level from the soundcard. I have played with all the settings and I can only change the level on the synth and not inside the audiofires software.