all hardware setup

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I'm just trying to share my experience. I have done very extensive research into the VST world and I find modular to be totally different. I have spent hours looking at implementations of filter algorithms and oscillator algorithms, in Reaktor Core. I do not believe that there is a huge difference in the central mechanics across the VST world, like there are with physical components and physical circuits.

However, Urs Heckmann would disagree with me there. He thinks that it's possible to go beyond hardware, and he knows a lot more than I do about DSP.

I don't want to say that my music is better or worse becuase of modular, and I don't want to say that you can't make music on a computer. THat's obviously not true. I think I have probably come across in an extreme way, but I am just trying to share something which has been very exciting to me. And the problems which I experienced in the VST world, I do not have now. (I have extensively used the different VSTS which are avaialble, such as high quality analogue modelling VSTs like Audiorealism Bassline Pro, some more newschool stuff like Zebra2, and quirky/advanced stuff like Camel Audio Alchemy and Devine Machine Krishna.)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Well Im certainly not bashing modular, I try to make it a habit of mine (in all walks of life) not to dismiss anything without first hand experience.

I am interested from the creativity aspect, I value the input of those who have had experience with any gear that I havent, modular or not. Just so happens that we always end up on modular for whatever reason regardless of thread title. Sure, Id like to hear music done with it too, Id also like to hear other gear as it goes as Im just open to anything.

I dont know if obli has modular music online but appreciate that you are in a production time at the moment. I must say though, Im fascinated to know why modular excites you guys so much. I guess I just need to hear. And yeah, its all subjective, I do like the sound of some analog synths so Im guessing Id like the sound of modular. Having said that I like the sound of some digital synths so its kind of a moot point arguing over whats best.

I did however have a few issues with inherently digital synths trying to be analog synths. Its obvious that an analog is going to be better at being an analog than a digital trying to be analog. Which of course has been the trend with many vst synths and VA's. I guess a middle ground 'missing link' has been found there now which kinda bridges the gap. (hmm or was that there before with hybrids?)

Anyway, I kinda got to like some of it all and for me, theres a time and place for all synthesis types. I have a slight preference now for analog because Im excited by quality bass sounds and Ive found analog to be the best example of that in my own experience. Having said that, if my favourite sounds were intricate evolving pad sounds, I'd probably be looking digital.

Sheer creative potential however and it sounding good for its job are all huge brownie points though. I think the problem some may have is the sheer lack of exposure to modular in a listening capacity, but this was mentioned before. If anyone has anything theyd like to share that was created on a modular, Id love to hear. I have no idea what to expect but my expectations are high due to the passion behind it.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

And I'll tell you exactly what fascinates me, the talk of non linear sequencing, unexpected creative doors being opened, these, clock dividers and other musically alternative approaches. Thats far more interesting to me than how great the oscillator sounds in its raw state or whatever because it gives merit and musical functionality to the concept.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote: Just so happens that we always end up on modular for whatever reason regardless of thread title.
i think we always end up on modular because as soon as its mentioned in a thread which is very relevant like 'all hardware set-ups' someone who has no experience of it will start pulling out all the cliche's like 'its too expensive', 'it takes up too much space' 'my poor little weak arms can only manage to carry a laptop' and of course 'bleeps and f**king bloops'
and then the modular guys unfortunately incapable of restraint, and lacking a sense of humour due to hours geeking around infront of knobs and spagetti, perpetuate the pointlessness by going on and on and on and on and on ad inf :D
Last edited by steevio on Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:And I'll tell you exactly what fascinates me, the talk of non linear sequencing, unexpected creative doors being opened, these, clock dividers and other musically alternative approaches.
you got it, and as important the interconnectivity of all the elements, the ability to feedback into the system in thousands of ways.

its so very different to looking at a piano roll and a timeline.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:
AK wrote:And I'll tell you exactly what fascinates me, the talk of non linear sequencing, unexpected creative doors being opened, these, clock dividers and other musically alternative approaches.
you got it, and as important the interconnectivity of all the elements, the ability to feedback into the system in thousands of ways.

This is why the concept is exciting to me and I can't understand why anyone else on here ( or anywhere for that matter ) wouldnt be seriously interested. I couldn't sit here and listen to people with modulars sucking each other off about how good their oscillator is, but that doesn't happen with the way you guys have often talked about it, it shows creative insight where that whole concept of modular can find its way into a musical form. If people can't see that, they are just either ignorant or outright stupid.

But yeah, I tried to find stuff on Youtube myself and didn't succeed in finding anything that I could connect with in a musical production capacity. Heard some great noises but as I don't know much about modular, I have difficulty distinguishing whether the noises and patterns are the result of sequencing or some patching thing.

I think I mentioned before that, at the moment, my 'turn-around' point in my musical life is going to be in the form of a whole new approach to sequencing. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out whether it means the only way I can experience these ideas is to actually get a modular, or whether I'd have these possibilities by simply buying an 'alternative' sequencer.

I'm at a kinda stuck point.

It's not like I'm buying soon either anyway, goddamn couple who were buying my house pulled out co's the bloke died. :|
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

By the way, don't the patch cords do your headfs in when they are covering all the knobs and stuff?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

AK wrote:
steevio wrote:

This is why the concept is exciting to me and I can't understand why anyone else on here ( or anywhere for that matter ) wouldnt be seriously interested. I couldn't sit here and listen to people with modulars sucking each other off about how good their oscillator is, but that doesn't happen with the way you guys have often talked about it, it shows creative insight where that whole concept of modular can find its way into a musical form. If people can't see that, they are just either ignorant or outright stupid.

But yeah, I tried to find stuff on Youtube myself and didn't succeed in finding anything that I could connect with in a musical production capacity. Heard some great noises but as I don't know much about modular, I have difficulty distinguishing whether the noises and patterns are the result of sequencing or some patching thing.

I think I mentioned before that, at the moment, my 'turn-around' point in my musical life is going to be in the form of a whole new approach to sequencing. With that in mind, I'm trying to figure out whether it means the only way I can experience these ideas is to actually get a modular, or whether I'd have these possibilities by simply buying an 'alternative' sequencer.

I'm at a kinda stuck point.

It's not like I'm buying soon either anyway, goddamn couple who were buying my house pulled out co's the bloke died. :|
maybe you should come over to mine one time and i'll show you the ropes, you only live 2 hours drive away.
i'm seriously busy right now, but things will slacken off in a few weeks time.