Crosstown Rebels is finished ?????

- wax
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

PsyTox wrote:
fader wrote:it's the label that carries those costs, an artist will always receive his royalties according to the contract.
?

The royalties (except the advance) are usually calculated on the profit. So if you lose money from the vinyl sales, your royalty is also zero, no?

Also, the royalties on digital are usually 50% where it's more common for vinyl to have a 15% or similar royalty.

So, I think the artist is better off digitally, because the costs are considerably lower, the point where the profit (and the royalties) start is lower.

Think that goes for most labels and also for Curle I think.
My guess is that mr. curle was thinking about the mechanical royalties?
fader
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fader »

an artist gets royalties per sold copy (minus the promo's, and minus the advance). and percentages aren't always comparable, as an artist i'd rather get 18% of 5 euro in stead of 50% of 50 cent :wink: (just an example)
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

fader wrote:an artist gets royalties per sold copy (minus the promo's, and minus the advance). and percentages aren't always comparable, as an artist i'd rather get 18% of 5 euro in stead of 50% of 50 cent :wink: (just an example)
if it's an fourtracker ep and you sell as many mp3's it's the same ;)
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

fader wrote:an artist gets royalties per sold copy (minus the promo's, and minus the advance). and percentages aren't always comparable, as an artist i'd rather get 18% of 5 euro in stead of 50% of 50 cent :wink: (just an example)
An artist gets mechanical (Gema, NCB, Sagem, or what ever it is called in your local country) royalties from the number of records pressed.

Then there are some different models on how to do the royalties regarding the sales. Some labels do the xx% of the PPD price, others do a 50/50 split on the final profit.
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

Yeah, but most labels don't get 5, but something like 3. You of course get 5 or something because you are also the distribution company :)

Either way, in most cases the artist just gets the advance when it's a vinyl release... while with digital, they get 50% (and not of 50 cent, but of 1 euro and something more)... minus nothing.

Anyway, one thing I know: you don't get rich from starting your own label, often enough just poorer :lol:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

PsyTox wrote:Yeah, but most labels don't get 5, but something like 3. You of course get 5 or something because you are also the distribution company :)
Very true.
PsyTox wrote: Either way, in most cases the artist just gets the advance when it's a vinyl release...
I must admit that I don't know many labels who still do advance fee's.
PsyTox wrote:while with digital, they get 50% (and not of 50 cent, but of 1 euro and something more)... minus nothing.

That's not true. Digital store / label = 40%/60% (or something like that) and then label / artist = 50%/50% of the 60% (normally)
PsyTox wrote: Anyway, one thing I know: you don't get rich from starting your own label, often enough just poorer :lol:
THAT is so true :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dantron
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Labels

Post by Dantron »

PsyTox wrote:Anyway, one thing I know: you don't get rich from starting your own label, often enough just poorer :lol:
LOL...someone approached us about starting a label for charity...we told him that we already run two :lol:
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Labels

Dantron wrote:
PsyTox wrote:Anyway, one thing I know: you don't get rich from starting your own label, often enough just poorer :lol:
LOL...someone approached us about starting a label for charity...we told him that we already run two :lol:
Hhahaha :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: