who are your influences?

- ask away
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

IMO PWM is a pretty weak and limited technique. It doesn't change the levels of harmonics, it just subtracts some of them depending on the duty cycle. Say [duty cycle = 1/3], then every third harmonic is missing. If [duty cycle = 1/4], then every fourth harmonic is missing.

I definitely can see how this could contribute to the forming of some chords in the upper harmonics of the PWM'ed oscillator, but for me personally it seems way too limited for a task like creating crazier chords out of oscillator harmonics. I would prefer FM anyday... where you could set simple harmonic relations in the form of ratios, and achieve much more stunning results. Add to this the choice of various waveforms, complex non-normal form ratios and it gets infinite soon enough.

Nothing against PWM though, definitely a worthy sound.

Edit: Actually if the duty cycle is for example 1/3.5 it would attenuate both each 3rd and 4th harmonic, which is indeed changing the levels to an extent, but i don't see how this could make a big difference though.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

^^^

yeah if you go back to my post where i introduced this concept, i said 'just as taster', i didnt say it was the only technique available to us. i brought it up as a simple technique you can try with pretty much any oscillator, without introducing other frequencies. i was trying to show that waveforms are actually chords in themselves.

i use FM widely in synthesis, almost all my percussive sounds are built using linear analogue FM.
s.k.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by s.k. »

fair enough, i've been meaning to ask you modular guys to perform a few simple FM tests because i read here and there about the difference between analogue and digital FM, but info seems to be rather vague. anyway its a subject for new topic i guess and i may as well get to it one of these days...

that said, my influence was and still is Jimi Hendrix :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

I don't like classic digital implementations of frequency modulation. i would go as far as to say that they are a waste of time and space.

i mean, they make nice tones. and if you fiddle around for a while, they can make nice interesting sounds.

but analogue implementations (including some, like Buchla 200e, which are actually based around digital oscillators), really show them up.

The possibilities for modulation with classic digital are terrible. Loads of the classic ones dont' even have knobs.

But with analogue, you can properly work them into a very interesting situation with modulations and whatnot. It comes alive.

Look at any videos feauturing Buchla, who used FM widely. And be terrifed about the possibilities. And also terrified of the price. THen look at any newskool modules, who have allowed proper possibilities for FM. Both of oscillators, and also filters (yes FM of a resoniting filter is interesting as fck).
gowans
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by gowans »

this thread is deep :?
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

start swimming! :)

it's fun
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

s.k. wrote:fair enough, i've been meaning to ask you modular guys to perform a few simple FM tests because i read here and there about the difference between analogue and digital FM, but info seems to be rather vague. anyway its a subject for new topic i guess and i may as well get to it one of these days...
don't confuse analogue FM with DX7 style FM. those 80's digital synths are actually PM (phase modulation) and PD (phase distortion) synths. similar concepts but different enough to get totally different sounds out of them.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think phase modulation is more or less the same end result as frequency modulation. phase distortion is v. different though.