who are your influences?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

who are your influences?

Post by AK »

I was thinking about how little Techno I have in my possesion compared to other genres and where I draw influences from. Do others get ideas actually from Techno or do you get inspired from other forms of music?

Here's some of my influences in no particular order:

Drexciya, juan atkins/cybotron, herbie hancock, bootsy collins, parliament funkadelic, hashim/jerry calliste jnr, delia derbyshire, john cage, four tet, boards of canada, aphex twin, pink floyd, afrika bambaata & soul sonic force, derrik may, kevin saunderson. A lot of obscure jazz and electric funk stuff. Film and game music.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i listen to everything. i love techno music, and the techno environment, but very often I don't feel that techno has the same expressional power and deepness as other forms of music. (but often that depends on whether I've taken any drugs or not). I think good techno works for me almost regardless of my mental state.

My first techno love was Kompakt records. Still go back to some of their stuff. Very passionate and emotionally full, and usually the right kind of structure to make it techno functional.

My new philosphy is not to listen to so much with the view of studying structure etc, but to immerse myself in my own world of sound. (somewhat)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i get inspired from techno and other styles of music. i'm really into UK bass music at the moment and thats the direction i'm heading but you can hear my techno roots in there.

some artist who have influenced me.

Parliment/Funkadelic, Lee Perry, Marcus Miller, Autechre, Prefuse 73, Aphex Twin, Herbie Hancock, Frank Zappa, Talking Heads, Brian Eno, Boards of Canada.

and my biggest house/techno influences

Akufen, Herbert, Villalobos (older stuff), Losoul, Zip/Pantytec, Melchoir, Tom Ellis and Leif, Shaka, Rhythm & Sound/Basic Channel etc, Monolake, Kit Clayton, Sutekh...
Jus Ed, Levon Vincent, Omar S, Glenn Underground, Rick Wade, Alton Miller, Scott Grooves, Patrice Scott, Move D, Recloose, Carl Craig, Theo Parrish, Moodymann...
Juan Atkins, Derrick May, Luke Slater, Jeff Mills, Underground Resistance, Paul Mac, Adam Beyer...
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

bob marley by a mile, listen to those grooves.

jimi hendrix / band of gypsies
parliament / funkadelic
captain beefheart
frank zappa
john lee hooker
afrika bambaataa
herbie hancock
hashim - (my biggest influence in electronic music)
early pink floyd

bizarrely quite alot of same influences here, can somebody tell me what we are doing on this forum :)

from house / techno / EDM
--nobody in particular, just absorbed it all through my skin.
no-one has ever massively stood out for me, and thats the way it should be with underground music. (edit but like AK it was Aphex Twin who kicked it off for me)
it was the whole dance music scene in its entirety, especially from 1988 - 1995, and in short bursts since every now and then, when things get fresh again, and there's new bursts of energy.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

gas / wolfgang voigt
basic channel
villalobos / perlon
warp
my bloody valentine
elephant 6 collective, especially olivia tremor control/black swan network and neutral milk hotel
constellation records, mainly godspeed you black emperor and ASMZ
animal collective
joy division
some punk guys... the ramones, the clash
some no wave guys like Suicide
krautrock like Can
BBC radiophonic workshop, esp. Delia Derbyshire (what a shame she never knew her own magic)
beach boys.. especially pet sounds, smile(y smile)
brian eno ambient
some dub, and some soul
robert wyatt / kevin ayers
the microphones
mindtours

pretty much anything with emotion, deep soulfulness, sometimes a big fat slice of the impossible. sometimes something that sounds like the end of the world. sometimes something soft and whimsical. stuff influenced by forests or beaches or clouds.
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

I think I was kind of a weird kid because music never really got a hold of me until later in life. ie. I was an angry, troublemaker with a penchant for violent conflict...

My parents were into non-pop music so I grew up listening to stuff more in the line of Horowitz, classical symphony and The Dead Can Dance then say.. the B52s. To be honest I never really felt a great draw to music until I got a Louie Armstrong CD for Christmas when I was in me early teens. I really liked the music of jazz.

When I was in my mid teens I went though a hip hop and alternative phase but it didn't last long because those genres didn't really hold much feeling for me. It wasn't until I got nagged into going to a "party" that I discovered a zest for music. House music in particular. I used to go to this wearhouse type place every friday night... which eventually lead to my going to other places on Saturday nights... and so it began.

I think most of my inspiration comes from my experiences during that time although I have long held an ingrained distaste for music that sounds unclean or rough generally speaking. I like smooth, relaxing, energetic, positive vibes which I attribute to my desire to contrast my aggression and anger as a youth.

Like I said... weird kid. Chalk it up to that I suppose. I can't name specific artists which inspired me but more so vibes that exposed me to an experience which provided me with an alternative to negativity. It wasn't just the music alone but the experience which was the inspiration. The music was more like a substrate.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

ha ha. fck, i can't resist going into stories of weird music phases when you were a kid.

i was kinda anti social kid, but i always wished to have friends. didn't really fit in anywhere though.

started out liking really shite music. my parents didn't have that much of an interest in music and i didn't have any cool older siblings.

went thru some phases of liking music to fit into social groups and feel part of something. but the first music that really hooked me was the Manic Street Preachers "the Holy Bible"... really grotesque morbid themes, but somehow really beautiful. I was really obssessed with the band, and had discovered a place all of my own where i was free to feel how I like.

Went thru different phases, taking influences from different people, for a vareity of reasons. Music slowly became a really big part of my life, but i never felt i had the talent to do anything with it until relatively recently.

I think I would be a really lost soul without music and positive community.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I think I would be a really lost soul without music and positive community.

Yeah me too. Music is my sun.