Post by loopdon »

I think you want something like CROSSOVER from this site

http://www.rs-met.com/

filed under Freebies
deadlyfreq
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by deadlyfreq »

thanks for that link. this will make things a lot easier for me.
skept
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by skept »

lejockey wrote:I think I understand what you are trying to do? You have a sound and you want to send the treble part of that sound to a delay for example, and then the mid part to a chorus etc?

Maybe rather than using a band pass filter, us a high pass and a low pass effectively creating a band, but it might be easier to control the perameters of the band this way?

I am just guessing tho. Its an interesting idea you are trying to realise :) Hope you have some luck. If you work out a way, post it up here perhaps?
yeah that is what i am trying to do and i've been through a lot of different filter configurations. someone on the ableton forum described it perfectly:

completely transparent frequency splitter

when i have done it in the past i was missing the completely transparent part which is what i am after now. it was a topic of discussion on the ableton forum in the past and someone there made a rack http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/SweepableCrossover.adg to accomplish this that i'll be checking out along with the crossover eqs so thanks for that tip oblioblioblio and loopdon!
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

skept wrote:
lejockey wrote:I think I understand what you are trying to do? You have a sound and you want to send the treble part of that sound to a delay for example, and then the mid part to a chorus etc?

Maybe rather than using a band pass filter, us a high pass and a low pass effectively creating a band, but it might be easier to control the perameters of the band this way?

I am just guessing tho. Its an interesting idea you are trying to realise :) Hope you have some luck. If you work out a way, post it up here perhaps?
yeah that is what i am trying to do and i've been through a lot of different filter configurations. someone on the ableton forum described it perfectly:

completely transparent frequency splitter

when i have done it in the past i was missing the completely transparent part which is what i am after now. it was a topic of discussion on the ableton forum in the past and someone there made a rack http://www.ioav.com/ethios4/SweepableCrossover.adg to accomplish this that i'll be checking out along with the crossover eqs so thanks for that tip oblioblioblio and loopdon!
Only thing that springs to mind is to duplicate the part enough times and then apply filters, ie: duplicate the part twice, hp 1, lp the other at the right cut off points and process each part differently.

Also someone mentioned additive synthesis, you could try that too, by creating say a sawtooth wave by various separate synths each harmonic could be processed differently too. Can't think of any other ways without altering the sound too much.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

the best way to have full control of what happens to what frequency is to build your tune from individual frequencies in the first place.
this will give you absolute micro control over everything, rather than treating bands seperately which is quite crude really.

so in other words have a mixer channel for everything right down to individual oscillators. with minimal music this isnt as difficult as it sounds, i do it routinely, and its amazing how much control you can have over the sounds.

its similar to additive synthesis, but you can do it with subtractive synthesizers.

of course this doesnt apply to you if youre using sampling.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

are you using ableton?

you could make a rack of bandpass filters... and then put effects on each output in the rack...
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

A fixed filter bank. Or duplicate the piece multiple times in ableton.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

steevio wrote:the best way to have full control of what happens to what frequency is to build your tune from individual frequencies in the first place.
this will give you absolute micro control over everything, rather than treating bands seperately which is quite crude really.

so in other words have a mixer channel for everything right down to individual oscillators. with minimal music this isnt as difficult as it sounds, i do it routinely, and its amazing how much control you can have over the sounds.

its similar to additive synthesis, but you can do it with subtractive synthesizers.

of course this doesnt apply to you if youre using sampling.
Steevio, I think you could do this with a sampler using it as a kind of additive synth. By loading in 'X' amount of individual looped sines ( or whatever ) and ensuring the sampler has enough multiple outs, these waveforms could be tuned to specific frequencies and levels to make up more complex waveforms and each 'partial' could be effected at its own respective individual out.

Anyway, I'm more interested in how you do this with subtractive synthesis, are you using sines to create more complex waveforms and what about tuning? Is this by ear or do you reference to a chart as such?

Quite interested in this topic now. :)