What about the Arrengement?

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Spoke about this many times on here, the computer sequencer/linear approach nearly made me give up music. Ivd done that approach for years. Subtractive sequencing from say 16 bars of the 'centrepiece' of a track. In 4/4 time, working in block segments and listening to it a thousand times as you get through the bars. Man, I cant do that any longer. It works but I need something else. Its the main reason im rebuilding my set up from the ground up.

Too much to go into today as Im off out but I like this subject and have tons to say about it. An element of live improv is where I see my creativity shining, I have gotta tailor how I work yet and set my studio up to work for me with that in mind. Its totally individual to me and unfortunately, its took me years to realise. For someone starting out, Id always advise the subtractive sequencing approach, its foolproof and works in a dj friendly kinda way.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

The problem I have when I record in live is that I get all the timings wrong. I get into the recording so much all the timings are off so I have to go back and edit it.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

in my opinion you gotta learn to love the mistakes and correct them as you go.

I try to do everything as live as possible. Sometimes I suck at it, and it's kinda high pressure and hard work.

It's pretty good practice to play with others sometimes. I used to have some fun jam sessions with friends on simple machines. I find it enjoyable to do something that isn't my normal music and cut loose and go with the flow. Not so much pressure to do everything and you usually do things differently.

Can get pretty high tension sometimes, depending on certain things, but totally awesome practice for live.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:The problem I have when I record in live is that I get all the timings wrong. I get into the recording so much all the timings are off so I have to go back and edit it.
thats just practice bro.

playing live in front of people helps, if ive got a gig, i have to practice my arse off to make sure i dont fck up, its easy to let the timings slip in the studio when theres no pressure.

working with a modular really helps to break out of that arrangement mentality, basically because youve got no choice.
my music is now fractal instead of linear, everything starts from a really simple point and grows fractally out of it. its kind of the opposite of subtractive sequencing.
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

steevio wrote: my music is now fractal instead of linear, everything starts from a really simple point and grows fractally out of it. its kind of the opposite of subtractive sequencing.
Wow, that's really what I'm aiming at...but except random lfo's maybe I don't see how I could do this with my daw...Steevio, you really putted words on what I feel how my music should be...every element evolves in its own way and tells it's story, but inside one big arrangement ! I really enjoy reading your posts-among others of course-because you really know what you're talking about, and you share it...and that's what music is about I think...so thank you dude !
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Yeah most of the stuff I do is sequenced in live and then I cut up the long audio file after. What I normally do is record for like 20 mins and then go back and cut it all up.

I have never done a live show before. A few people have asked me recently so I have been thinking about it, but it needs to be more then me just playing my tracks from a laptop otherwise im not going to enjoy it. When you lot who do livesets how do you work it? Do you save all your patches and then flick between them on the synth as the live set progresses? So if I knew I was going to do say 8 tracks I would set it up before with 8 patches on say the Prophet, a few kicks on the Mbase and and so on?
Last edited by ::BLM:: on Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

XIII NRV wrote:
steevio wrote: my music is now fractal instead of linear, everything starts from a really simple point and grows fractally out of it. its kind of the opposite of subtractive sequencing.
Wow, that's really what I'm aiming at...but except random lfo's maybe I don't see how I could do this with my daw...Steevio, you really putted words on what I feel how my music should be...every element evolves in its own way and tells it's story, but inside one big arrangement ! I really enjoy reading your posts-among others of course-because you really know what you're talking about, and you share it...and that's what music is about I think...so thank you dude !
IF you use Ableton you can just record what you do in clip mode in the arrangement view.
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

True, you mean recording live all the tweaks and sh!t like this right ? I'm talking more of being the flint that starts it and then letting those elements work their own way, with surprises...
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin