What about the Arrengement?

- ask away
Phune
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What about the Arrengement?

Post by Phune »

As everyone of us knows, the arrengement is one of the most important things for a good track!
What song or what artist do you hear more for it?
How do you build up your tracks?
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

trust your feeling
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: What about the Arrengement?

Post by dubgil2 »

Phune wrote:As everyone of us knows, the arrengement is one of the most important things for a good track!
What song or what artist do you hear more for it?
How do you build up your tracks?
I can't name drop any artists at the moment, but I love the techno method of point A, then layer upon layer upon layer upon layer then strip away strip away strip away strip away back to point A

- if that makes any sense
databass
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by databass »

I used to struggle with arrangement (and still do to an extent) but here are a few methods that have worked for me in the past.

subtractive sequencing

if you are starting out by making a 4,8,16,32 bar loop with all your track's elements running, copy the complete loop out for the duration of your track and then strip away layers throughout until you have a cohesive structure that you are happy with. Then go back in and add variation, builds, breaks whatever you want.

horizontal writing

try writing the entire drum track with all edits, breaks whatever else you want and get the structure of your track down and sequenced. Then move on to your other elements such as one shots, synth lines, bass, vocals or anything else you choose to include.

Live sequencing

use your midi controller (or whatever hardware you have) and play your track as you would play it in a live set. you can always go back in to the arrangement later and fix any mistakes, tweak your automation and all the rest.

Live sequencing is my favorite way to give structure to tracks as from my own experiences I find that you feel the track and give it progression rather than just looking at it as a bunch of loops that you need to put together. Hope this will be of some use to you.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

subtractive sequencing

if you are starting out by making a 4,8,16,32 bar loop with all your track's elements running, copy the complete loop out for the duration of your track and then strip away layers throughout until you have a cohesive structure that you are happy with. Then go back in and add variation, builds, breaks whatever you want.

I first try recording it in live and if that does not work I do the above.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

I try arrange a track out so it's almost like it's telling a story.
I start with say the kick and think 'If this was something I was listening to, I'd love the hats to kick in now followed by snare, etc'.
Though I would like to add that my New Year's resolution is to strive to become more live based and record what I jam.
I'm not very good at jamming.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

its all live hardware jamming for me.

no arrangement whatsoever.

arangements kill me, its got to flow and develope naturally for me.
i have no idea what i'm going to do till i start recording.

takes a lot of practice though.
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

steevio wrote:its all live hardware jamming for me.

no arrangement whatsoever.

arangements kill me, its got to flow and develope naturally for me.
i have no idea what i'm going to do till i start recording.

takes a lot of practice though.
Same here. My ultimate dream is to be able to make release-worthy tracks out of a short hardware loop, playing with knobs and mutes as the track progresses. Hopefully I will reach that level some day, atm my tracks sound very amateurish.