Solfeggio frequencies

- ask away
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

love it! i've been reading this book "This is your brain on music". Touches briefly on the subject of why we are so "in tune" with music and why it is so important to us. So far where I'm at it hasn't gone into healing aspects of it. great stuff!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nice one AK keep it coming bro.

sorry i cant contribute right now.

@ hydrogen - i read that book, well interesting.

man i think about this sh!t everyday, i'd rather be researching into the effects of frequencies, and applying it in my studio, than trying sound like ----------- (insert flavour of the month techno label)

this is the sh!t we should all be talking about.

ive discovered some real interesting stuff about harmonic intervals by experimentation in my studio this week, cant wait to share it.

12 tet is totally gone for me now, been trying to shake off the last vestiges for the last few years,
bring on the vibrations !
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

Quite how the Solfeggio frequencies relate to the notes I just put up, I don't know. But in 12tet, I've read the notes are D A G D C Gb - if it's true that Gregorian Chants were in A=432hz maybe someone could tell me if those frequencies would then provide the above notes?
F(n)=F*(2^(n/S))

F = frequency of the note
n = the scale degree, the frequency of this degree is the output
S = number of equal tempered steps per octave

SO

if we want to determine D, in a scale where A=432hz, we do the following;

432*(2^(5/12))
432*1.3348399 = 576 hz or D, 1 whole step above middle C

to keep things tidy use as many decimal places as possible, this will make your results more accurate. also, to determine the hz of the notes in any scale, F should be used to determine all frequencies. if not the notes will drift, try this exercise:

a recursive function that will repeatedly calculate the hz of notes in the circle of 5ths, in the western 12 tone scale. the function will cease after 12 iterations, enough to generate each note in the 12 tone scale.

starting with A, since it's frequency is 440hz, a nice integer. some notes frequencies are divided by multiples of 2 to bring each note value into the same octave. i then arranged the circle of 5ths in a chromatic scale

440 A
466.16 A#
493.88 B
523.25 C
554.36 C#
587.35 D
622.25 D#
659.22 E
698.45 F
739.98 F#
783.99 G
830.60 G#
880 A
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

pafufta816 wrote:
Quite how the Solfeggio frequencies relate to the notes I just put up, I don't know. But in 12tet, I've read the notes are D A G D C Gb - if it's true that Gregorian Chants were in A=432hz maybe someone could tell me if those frequencies would then provide the above notes?
F(n)=F*(2^(n/S))

F = frequency of the note
n = the scale degree, the frequency of this degree is the output
S = number of equal tempered steps per octave

SO

if we want to determine D, in a scale where A=432hz, we do the following;

432*(2^(5/12))
432*1.3348399 = 576 hz or D, 1 whole step above middle C

to keep things tidy use as many decimal places as possible, this will make your results more accurate. also, to determine the hz of the notes in any scale, F should be used to determine all frequencies. if not the notes will drift, try this exercise:

a recursive function that will repeatedly calculate the hz of notes in the circle of 5ths, in the western 12 tone scale. the function will cease after 12 iterations, enough to generate each note in the 12 tone scale.

starting with A, since it's frequency is 440hz, a nice integer. some notes frequencies are divided by multiples of 2 to bring each note value into the same octave. i then arranged the circle of 5ths in a chromatic scale

440 A
466.16 A#
493.88 B
523.25 C
554.36 C#
587.35 D
622.25 D#
659.22 E
698.45 F
739.98 F#
783.99 G
830.60 G#
880 A
not sure what you doing here mate, these frequencies are just the ones normally assoiciated with the chromatic scale.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

yes they are, as derived by the math function i showed you. with this you can create a 5-tone scale, any micro or macro tonal scale, in equal temperment.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

pafufta816 wrote:yes they are, as derived by the math function i showed you. with this you can create a 5-tone scale, any micro or macro tonal scale, in equal temperment.
sorry i misunderstood, i thought you were working it out for AK, but youre giving him the formula instead.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i really dont think 12 tet is relevant at all with these frequencies.

the only 12 tet relationship between any of those frequencies would be a purely mathematical (harmonic) one anyway (perfect fourth or fifth depending on which way you look at it) between UT and MI.
528 / 4 = 132 x 3 = 396

C and G in 12tet if we assume 528Hz is a C
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i was reading on Ableton Minneapolis facebook page, James Patrick posted some stuff about alternate tunings...
http://www.kylegann.com/histune.html

Also, something about Madrona Labs Alto being able to support alternate tunings. http://madronalabs.com/aalto

There was some others mentioned any software being able to support .tun files and they posted more notes on that about here...
http://www.microtonal-synthesis.com/
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest