Solfeggio frequencies

- ask away
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Solfeggio frequencies

Post by AK »

Unsure whether or not a forum entitled, 'producing' is the right place to talk about this but hey, it may inspire something in terms of music so what the hell.

Without sounding like a nut job, I think it's safe to assume most people are aware of how frequencies can affect us. Even the most basic of triad chords will tell you that music will affect you on an emotional level at least: ie: Play a C Major chord and it's a happy sound, play a D minor chord and it's a sad sound.

Anyway, this stuff deals with things on a much deeper level, it's almost spiritual and at least philosophical to some degree. So Solfeggio frequencies were used in ancient Gregorian chants: The chants and their special tones were believed to impart tremendous spiritual blessings when sung in harmony during religious masses. These powerful frequencies were rediscovered by Dr. Joseph Puleo as described in the book Healing Codes for the Biological Apocalypse by Dr. Leonard Horowitz.

These frequencies are as follows:

UT – 396 Hz – Liberating Guilt and Fear
RE – 417 Hz – Undoing Situations and Facilitating Change
MI – 528 Hz – Transformation and Miracles (DNA Repair)
FA – 639 Hz – Connecting/Relationships
SOL – 741 Hz – Awakening Intuition
LA – 852 Hz – Returning to Spiritual Order

The notes D A G D C Gb repeated are said to create a resonant frequency in the brain which naturally stimulates the pineal gland, releasing DMT. ( DMT is dimethyltryptamine a naturally occurring substance within animals and plants and is related to serotonin ) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimethyltryptamine )

Quite how the Solfeggio frequencies relate to the notes I just put up, I don't know. But in 12tet, I've read the notes are D A G D C Gb - if it's true that Gregorian Chants were in A=432hz maybe someone could tell me if those frequencies would then provide the above notes?

Anyway, back on track. So I read this stuff and was suprised when I found out that Biochemists are using the third frequency 528hz to repair broken DNA.

In fact, here's exactly what I read to save me typing it in:

Here is what Dr. Len Horowitz has to say about this unique sound.

The Sound for DNA Repair: Frequency 528 Hz

528 Hz, the frequency for transformation and DNA repair.
There is a special sound and color of love according to Dr. Horowitz, a Harvard-trained award-winning investigator. Broadcasting the right frequency can help open your heart, prompt peace, and hasten healing. “We now know the love signal, 528 Hertz, is among the six core creative frequencies of the universe because math doesn’t lie, the geometry of physical reality universally reflects this music; these findings have been independently derived, peer reviewed, and empirically validated,” Dr. Horowitz says.

The third note, frequency 528, relates to the note MI on the scale and derives from the phrase “MI-ra gestorum” in Latin meaning “miracle.” Stunningly, this is the exact frequency used by genetic biochemists to repair broken DNA – the genetic blueprint upon which life is based! MI – 528 Hz – relates to crown chakra. Dr Puleo suggests an association with DNA integrity.

The regular “C” that we all know of in this culture (which is from the diatonic scale of do, re, mi, fa, so, la, ti, do) is not the 528 Hz frequency “C.

A regular “C” vibrates at a frequency of 523.3 Hz.

The “C” of 528 Hz used for DNA repair is part of an ancient scale called the Solfeggio Scale.

There's much more to it than this single post. I have been looking things up out of interest and often late at night after we had the thread about A=432hz and what it allegedly entails, so this is like an extention of that. I just wondered whether people ever think about this sort of stuff?

Ultimately, everything is vibration and vibration resonates to form, so it makes sense that resonant frequencies have an effect, either on us or the environment and 'matter' itself.

From a musical perspective, there's not much I see apart from new age stuff where this might have been applied where I read a psychadelic rock band called Acid Mothers Temple have in some way used the notes but from what I can gather, the frequencies are the important thing, not rounding them off so they conform to 12tet.

There's tons of stuff about it though, just Google, Solfeggio frequencies and you're away.

Definitely something I'd like to look into. What strikes me as odd though, is why these particular frequencies? Don't ALL frequencies have some resonant value?
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

sorry if some of that read back to front, some of the quotes must have been placed in out of order/sync.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

nice one bro,
ive been interested in this for a while.

havent got time to discuss right now, i'm buried in the studio, but will contribute laters.

i think you have to forget 12 tet bro, this is all harmonic theory.

i've got every combination of three harmonics up to the 32nd saved as patches in my moog in 432 tuning instead of 12 tet notes, and i notice that in your list of frequencies they are the same frequncies ive got in some of my 'chords'.

interesting sh!t, must talk about it later.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

could work, but mostly triggering emotions or such sort of thing will be done by chord progression and sound. Not really frequencies perse. I think this kinda theory is more appropriate for ambient music.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i'm totally interested in meaningful deep music, i would say holy, but I don't always feel comfortable using that word.

Anyways. These frequencies are quite 'far out' if I recall. I tried to load them up but it wasn't a really natural and obvious realtionship, and there was almost nothing going on with repeating harmonics to make a scale? It was just these 8 frequencies and nothing else. (incdentally if I recall correctly they lined up VERY closely with the rotational frequencies of planets in our Solar system)

I found a forum who did lots of stuff in this vein (including exploring this solfeggio scale), but it was the biggest rabbit hole I ever saw... but I might try to see what's down there. I'm not sure whther they were into making music, or just the theory of the frequencies.

http://forums.abrahadabra.com/forumdisp ... ?23-Modern

About DMT, that stuff is interesting. DId you ever read the Strassman book 'The Spirit Molecule'... that was interesting as fck. Might dig it out again now. I think I would rather bosh a load of Ayehuasca and vomit my guts out (preferably in the Amazon) than use DMT extracted.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

the spirit molecule is now also released as a documentary
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

kdgh wrote:could work, but mostly triggering emotions or such sort of thing will be done by chord progression and sound. Not really frequencies perse. I think this kinda theory is more appropriate for ambient music.
Well my example was pretty poor but what you say isnt strictly true. A single chord can have an effect and has an 'emotional' content. Its slightly irrelavant here as all I was trying to illustrate was the effect on us at the most simplistic way I could think of.

If you think a bit more about the nature of everything, frequencies start to make more of an impact than merely a sound. Theres something known as 'sympathetic vibratory physics'. Scientifically, it has
been proven that everything
vibrates. Deep down into the sub
-atomic level. Matter is vibration into form, this is why everything that exists has a frequency. So if vibration exists at the fundamental essence of the universe, it goes without saying that vibration is
intimately connected to all other
vibrations thereby demonstrating that:

1) everything in the universe including consciousness is interconnected in an intricate web of vibration.

2) all things
are they themselves built up
from simple vibration to
complex 'chords'/form using vibration alone.

3)there is no such thing as chaos
in the universe, all things exist
by virtue of harmony among the
vibrations that make it what it is.

If you google cymatics, you can see physically how vibration causes form but since we are not separate from the universe, it makes sense that we are caught up and affected by this intricate web of vibration.

As an example of how frequencies affect us, you can look no further than the monroe institute. In a nutshell, it deals with the effects of frequencies on the brain. One of the experiments is to have 2 slightly different frequencies played into both ears at the same time. The difference between the two in hertz value is known as the binaural beat (google it) and essentially, it causes the left and right hemisphere of the brain to sync (its actually called, hemisync) the result of this are altered and higher states of consciousness, even out of body experiences many of which joe public would categorize as paranormal experiences. The brain is essentially like a walnut, almost 2 brains. If simple sine waves can have such a dramatic effect on physical and mental states so as to bring them about by syncing them, I think its pretty much set in stone that just how powerful frequencies are in our existence. Phew, ok, so theres some evidence and havent even gone into the genetic biochemistry regarding frequencies for dna repair.

So going back to the solfeggio frequencies, what have they got to do with anything I have said above you may ask? Well, the above was trying to explain and examplify the relevance and effect certain frequencies have on us. I believe a lot of knowledge (about a lot of things) has been lost in history, played down or forced out for whatever reason. Some of these frequencies were used for religeous purposes. Gregorian chants are almost legendary and these frequencies wouldnt just be chosen at random for such an important role.

So whats the connection to writing music? Im not sure yet, maybe not many people have experimented with these frequencies but the evidence is there that, for some reason certain frequencies have a definite effect. This was known in antiquity and through the centuries, why would we lose such knowledge and become ignorant to it?

There are people making music with these frequencies, as to how they come over, i dont know. The evidence is there though that the effect is probably a lot deeper than we know. I think its certainly fascinating.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

found this link on that forum, it's a good-un

http://cns-alumni.bu.edu/~slehar/HRezBook/HRezBook.html