First Synth

- ask away
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

personally i would probably suggest a good soft synth plus midi controller for this.

i had a few years of good clean honest fun from soft synths before I got fed up and wanted something different.
twisted-space
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by twisted-space »

Maybe look for a VA to start with, you'll get considerably more for your money.

There's 3 K-stations on ebay at the moment , all under £250

Or a sh-201 thats at £199, with an hour to go, new seller with 0 feedback but it's in london so you could maybe arrange to pick up and pay cash so you can check it out before you part with your money.

Or an Akai Miniak at 210 BIN or offers.

These are all polyphonic, with midi and are far more versitile than a cs01.
Not analog, but all decent sounding, flexible VA's, with the miniak being one of the most analog sounding va's out there (though it's not got a "knobby" interface).
If you really want analog, you could look for a s/h waldorf pulse, but you're going to need a keyboard to play it with and it's a mono, so no chords.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

oblioblioblio wrote:personally i would probably suggest a good soft synth plus midi controller for this.

i had a few years of good clean honest fun from soft synths before I got fed up and wanted something different.
Yeah... there are tons of freeware that I use that is amazing.

sh101 clone, juno 60 clone etc... all are excellent.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

the only thing that's dangerous about freeware is spending lots of time finding more of it...

i would probably get 1 good payware synth and set yourself a limit of learning it inside out and not getting anything else. Make sure to research it before you buy.
sorgenkind
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by sorgenkind »

[quote="::BLM]
Yeah... there are tons of freeware that I use that is amazing.

sh101 clone, juno 60 clone etc... all are excellent.[/quote]

+1
even tho i have a real sh-101 and juno 106 i use the TAL emulations (U-No 60 and Bassline) pretty much, expecially when i'm on the laptop on the go and i don't have the real synths with me.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I havent used the real ones so cant compare, but im more then happy to use them freeware synths in my music.

There is a clone of the Ensoniq SQ80 which is fantastic. I used that for about 2 years, before buying the real thing and even now I still go back to it.
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

sorgenkind wrote: +1
even tho i have a real sh-101 and juno 106 i use the TAL emulations (U-No 60 and Bassline) pretty much, expecially when i'm on the laptop on the go and i don't have the real synths with me.
Exactly! i love prototyping on these synths and then doing it for real on the analogue.
jackbrazzo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jackbrazzo »

thanks for all the input guys. Still undecided but when I decide I will let you know.