An exercise in concept........

- ask away
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

An exercise in concept........

Post by Torque »

Back in the day when techno started it wasn't made to make people dance like house music was. It was based on an idea that you could make music about anything without restriction. The subjects early artists like Juan Atkins was "The Future". His vision of the future was a dark world moving at a fast pace utilising technology to make it grow and function. It just so happened that it turned out to be funky musicly and move peoples asses, not by purpose but as a result of trying to present the vision. This is the absolute fundamental principal on which this music was built. I want you all to try an excercise in this manner for me.

This is a contest and here are the rules:

1. you create a piece of conceptual music based upon any subject you like in any form it takes to express your idea
2. You submit a paper or a piece of artwork describing what you see in your mind.
3. the track has to be at least 4 minutes long and must stay fresh throughout.
4. All entries will be posted on this board by march 1st

The winner will get their own EP on a new mp3 label i am creating on Detroitdigitalvinyl.com called Polyphase Recordings which will be a new sublabel of Submerge Recordings and recieve royalty payments on the sale of the EP. Production quality will be of no consequence on the way a track is judged. This will be a direct representation of what you have thought of as your concept in your mind and if that consists of poor production quality but is still accurate to your concept and connects with the listener it will work plus if the production is a problem and the track is picked up we will find ways to make the production value cleaner. A truthful track will always be a great one. This is a chance for all of you to go way off the deep end.
Tracks will be judged by the Submerge Recordings staff. Make no mistake about it, these people know electronic music in every form and come from a long carreer of making conceptual music on labels like Electrofunk, Underground Resistance, Tunnel 7, The Plan, Motech, Los Hermanos and Red Planet. The music will be judged upon it's merit as a complete conceptual piece. The more desriptive the music and the text is and how well they fit together the better chance you have at winning. If the EP does well enough selling digitally then it will be picked up for a vinyl release. Just because we are from Detroit doesn't mean the track has to sound detroit, it can sound like anything that fits the conceptual picture in your mind. We are looking for absolute originallity. Lets see what all your twisted minds and souls can create. I can't wait to hear it........
Android
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Android »

great!

time to start brainstorming.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

dude.... what a sick concept! really really inspiring. respect!
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

octagon man
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
Keagan
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Keagan »

Wow.

Im definitely getting on this.

just one question does it have to stay somewhat in the tech/minimal genres or is it pretty much anything we can come up with?
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

anything
thom
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thom »

Hey... how 'bout that! Nice!!

Contest or not, thanks for reminding me what comes first! I'm not in the middle of a track right now so I might as well make this my next project.
oe
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by oe »

great
i'm in