303 distortion effect

- ask away
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

303 distortion effect

Post by MagpieIndustries »

Hey, I am looking for a (hardware) distortion to be used mostly for 303 style dirty acid riffs. Any recommendations?
JackNine
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JackNine »

Try overdriving the signal through your mixer's input. That is, making it distort through the channel. (This works really well on certain analog mixers. Mackies & A&H's both work well.)

With a bit of EQ'ing this sounds the warmest to me. Add a bit of delay/reverb and you're set.
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

JackNine wrote:Try overdriving the signal through your mixer's input. That is, making it distort through the channel. (This works really well on certain analog mixers. Mackies & A&H's both work well.)

With a bit of EQ'ing this sounds the warmest to me. Add a bit of delay/reverb and you're set.
I only have a cheap behringer mixer which doesnt overdrive nicely. I have tried two or three guitar pedals but still havn't found one that really sounds good.
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Distortion boxen that are touted as rocken the 303 boxen:

Boss ODB-3
Boss OD-1
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

EH 2ube

Of course, there is the Ibanez Tube Screamer, amazing if you can find one, and you can get it modded to a TS808 which is pure perfection.

Last but not least is: the Acid Screamer

http://www.analoguerenaissance.com/TS303/1

Made by a 303 head for 303 heads.

I use the Boss ODB-3 regularly myself as I love that cheap cheeze it puts out so well.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Just curious, why hardware?
I prefer analog when it comes to drums/synth. but for distortion i think software suit the best.
been playing around with audio damage kombinat for the last couple of days and i think its realy good, and if you dont like it, you can just return it and get your money back. :wink:
coldfuture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by coldfuture »

Stomper wrote:Just curious, why hardware?
I will quote my friend Shagghie on a chat we had just today about this very subject (pedals and why hardware):

"They add noise floor, distortion, artifacts, and limited frequency response range of the original material. Not to mention they cheapen the sound...
We need to buy a lot of them."

Over at tekfunk studios we love noise, we use as much of it as we can get: turntable hum, bad i/o, cheap fx, tubes, low signal levels. It all adds so much character to a recording if used right... and run thru Class A converters and preamps, of course. 8)
MagpieIndustries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

I think it's more fun
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

victorjohn wrote:
I will quote my friend Shagghie on a chat we had just today about this very subject (pedals and why hardware):

"They add noise floor, distortion, artifacts, and limited frequency response range of the original material. Not to mention they cheapen the sound...
We need to buy a lot of them."

Over at tekfunk studios we love noise, we use as much of it as we can get: turntable hum, bad i/o, cheap fx, tubes, low signal levels. It all adds so much character to a recording if used right... and run thru Class A converters and preamps, of course. 8)
True, but true for a synth. not a distortion effect.
i also agree its more fun :D