from ableton to logic

- ask away
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

from ableton to logic

Post by livecollective »

Ok another basic question, whats the best way to take my project in ableton and put in logic. I want to make sure not to degrade the quality at all as I want to do my cleaning up/mixing in logic while sketching out tracks in ableton.

Rewire vs Rendering down pieces of the sketch and moving it over?

Is this a futile idea?
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

rewire is good way, but not for mixing as all ableton tracks are actualy one track in logic.
export to wav each track and import to logic will be the best way imo.

Stomper.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

Stomper wrote:rewire is good way, but not for mixing as all ableton tracks are actualy one track in logic.
export to wav each track and import to logic will be the best way imo.

Stomper.
i couldnt just solo and rewire them into logic? Key is i am trying to avoid the ableton rendering engine.

If thats not possible what should I render the files down to in terms of bit size if i want to mixdown in logic? 32?
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

my guess is the best idea is to bounce each track down to 32 or 24 the digital distortion should be pretty minimal if you havn't been bouncing the tracks alot previous to mixing.
Rosscoah
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rosscoah »

Surely the best way (but maybe not the quickest) would be to solo each track in Abe and record to a new track in Logic.
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

If you wanna do what i think you do, then this is possible.....

You want to use ableton as your sequencer, and logic as your mixer right?

On the audio output of each ableton track, select rewire, then choose a bus channel. then in logic create a new set of auxilary channels, select the ableton rewire bit as the input and tick the ascending box and you'll get all you channels from ableton routed through to logic individually. then you can just mix away and bounce down once in logic at the end. Its a nice way of working - i do it all the time, particularly with reason but also with live. you do loose a bit of live's functionality though when it is in rewire mode - external audio and midi routing are disabled as is tempo control...
Josie K
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Josie K »

I think you should do 32-bit mixdowns of your channels or stems and then import them to logic. It's the same bit depth that Live is working with internally so there shouldn't be any loss in quailit whatsoever.
I was thinking about something like that myself using Cubase or Reaper (Haven't decided yet for a licence).
As good as it is for getting loops down quickly arranging really can be a bitch in Live's tight user interface.
My music at | Soundcloud | MySpace |
jaco
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jaco »

Audio Dependent wrote:If you wanna do what i think you do, then this is possible.....

You want to use ableton as your sequencer, and logic as your mixer right?

On the audio output of each ableton track, select rewire, then choose a bus channel. then in logic create a new set of auxilary channels, select the ableton rewire bit as the input and tick the ascending box and you'll get all you channels from ableton routed through to logic individually. then you can just mix away and bounce down once in logic at the end. Its a nice way of working - i do it all the time, particularly with reason but also with live. you do loose a bit of live's functionality though when it is in rewire mode - external audio and midi routing are disabled as is tempo control...
im doing that with cubase and it works prety well...