- dj/live pa

Moderators: John Clees, Benjamin Fehr, Tim Tor, Thomas Melchior

AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

MNML Collaboration Thread

Post by AVX23 »

Outline

This thread is for posting loops with the aim of collecting a library of MNML user loops which can be curated into archived Zips, then downloaded, alternatively, people can grab them directly from the links submitted here. This thread is not intended for discussion, for that, there is another thread here.....

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=47063

This library is not designed with any specific end product in mind, this is purely to stimulate interation with each other musically.

There is no deadline for submission, the project will continue as long as there is interest.

The project is purely for our own fun, but in order to set an initial course and get us started here are some guidelines / tips which might help us along. :)

Guidelines

The loops are preferrably going to be more finished segments of tracks than broken up parts, eg: a main loop containing drums, melody, FX etc as opposed to an individual hi hat loop. The format of the loops is entirely up to you, they can be as long as you want or as short as you want, they can be of any style you choose, you can submit more than once if you want, but bear in mind that people need to digest things so it's probably not wise to saturate this thread with too many loops in one sitting little bites work best :)

This is open to anyone who wants to throw stuff over, but remember that if you want people to engage your creations - make them accesible and make them semi-relevant, I'm not really sure that anyone here is interested in certain styles so don't expect eveyone to jump on your gabber / trance / bavarian folk trumpet loops, sniff around and check the loops being submitted for an idea, but don't be put off if you have some stuff that's a bit off the wall, it's all good !

1. Post a link here with a zip file, please don't fill this thread with chat as it will make it harder to find people's loops.

2. Keep the loops short 4-16 bars.

Keep the loops concise - summarise your idea(s) into managable parts; 2-10 is ideal.

4. Provide the loops in an optimised format, Consider using 320 MP3s or 44k/16bit wavs, I'm quite sure we could have a discussion which lasts all day about best format but I'm thinking the most accessable formats are best and keeping the zips light is preferrable.

5. Consider hosting your files in a permanent way, virus scanning your work and make sure your zip file is accesable to PCs and MACs.

6. Style and polish are unimportant, quick fire ideas and scetches are more than welcome.

I will try and ensure to curate the loops weekly, if I have a problem doing this I will say :)

Lets see how it goes, we can put more structure to the guidelines if we need to. I've posted an example below, which contains a link to my 1st Zip with ten loops, and put brief notes to accompany the file.

I've also highlighted text and made some of it bold, this makes it pretty clear it's a loop pack being submitted and not just idle chat, which we'd probably prefer not to see here, but just in case :)
Last edited by AVX23 on Tue May 19, 2009 2:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

AVX23 :

Loop Set 001
---------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.avionixrecords.com/downloads ... et_001.zip
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

All MP3/320, different tracks / variants. [Techno/Minimal/Dub-House]

**As these are MP3s you will likely need to alter the loop points in your DAW or trim them in a wave editor before use.
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

interesting :)

Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
ferdy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ferdy »

Great idea! Will be posting some when I get the time. :)
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

oblio samples 1

(sorry, no permanent link atm)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/i60es0

4 simple samples/loops. all 120bpm all designed as part of the same 'piece', but are broken down to increase options for sampling/editing etc)

3 of reverbed bass of 2 different melodies (and 1 slight variation). each loop is 16 beats long but the clip lasts longer so you have options of reverb tail or not.

1 of synthesised kinda guitar. loop is 12 beats long (3 times 4 polyrhythm)

I included an ableton file with some loop points just in case I don't make any sense here.

The loops should work ok with number 5 from AVX23s set above.

Not fully polished and thrown together a little quickly (the guitar thing is pretty much from a preset (or preset 'twiked mode (tm)' ). It definitely feels wierd to me to only have a tiny non changing loop but maybe there's something useable there to somebody else.

mark
isaaclevy
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by isaaclevy »

These are some of those loops you start with and leave them arround unfinished....nothing special but i felf like sharing this 4.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/12/16 ... 0LOOPS.zip

cheers.
AVX23
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AVX23 »

Thanks guys, really appreciate your input !

Giving these one's a check just now, so far , all excellent.

8)
victorgonzales
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by victorgonzales »

good stuff so far
Last edited by victorgonzales on Thu May 21, 2009 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.