Producing while travelling??

- ask away
acos1
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Producing while travelling??

Post by acos1 »

If havent been on here for the past while but just looking for some advice. Ive been travelling for quite awhile now and loving it but i just cant keep my mind off producing. I intended to stay in the one place and get setup by posting my gear over (to the other side of the world) but unfortunately that just didnt happen. I did bring a laptop, soundcard and small midi controller with me but what with having to keep getting new jobs and moving area i havent been able to collect much gear and obviously dragging it around isnt going to be easy. Does anyone have any advice for producing while travelling?what they did when they did. I was thinking of getting some small portable active moniters maybe? s Strange question i know but just wondering if anyone had any advice. Cheers. :D
Signal Code Records interview. - http://mntothat.com/scr-interview/

Mix - http://vaiwuu.notlong.com
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I travel alot also because of my job, so what I use is a laptop,an echo indigo usb soundcard(awesome!!!),a pair of HD 280 headphones and a Korg nano keyboard. It all packs efficiently in my laptop case.
G-LAN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by G-LAN »

I went away for 8 months with just a cheap, small acer laptop and some good headphones. It really changed the way I work as it just had ableton on it and only had a few plugins - the ones I really wanted, because my internet time was limited I couldn't download much.

I'm now back mixing everything down on my monitors at home.
stock up on adapters if you're moving countries alot.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

What about those really small genlec monitors, they're only about 200 x100 x 100 mm in size. You can get the speakers for about £160 and theres a small subwoofer available which is also very compact.
BigPoe
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by BigPoe »

I moved to Madrid recently with only a Macbook Pro and some dodgy headphones. I love keeping things simple and I reckon you get some great inspiration from being in a completely different place. You just have to adapt your way of working to accomodate your limitations.

Maybe the lack of production tools helps you to focus on the music a bit more!
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

Sorry just had a look at them. They're the Genelec 6010a's and they're not £160, they're £160 each and the sub costs £300+ so not really a cheap option.
rcnt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by rcnt »

MacBook Black + Apogee Duet + Akai lpk25 + Akai lpd 8 + Sennheiser HD 25c

My way of mobile producing.
G3rard
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by G3rard »

I know what you mean its hard enough to settle down after a days work and put in afew hours in the studio but when you are constantly on the move it must be much harder.