- ask away
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Prophet 08 module PE!!

Post by Phase Ghost »

http://store.davesmithinstruments.com/p ... prod=P8MPE

Fockerz!!!

I bought the standard edition over the summer. I always wanted the pots version, but I didn't think it was coming. They do offer an upgrade kit for $225.00 that I may pick up in the future (or send to them rather). Maybe. I've actually come to like the encoders for certain things, but always wanted the pots. $225 more for a synth I already dropped a dime on...well....I don't know. Especially since I started down the modular road.

***edit: if you have basic soldering skills, you can do the conversion yourself for $175. ****
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Prophet 08 module PE!!

Post by steevio »

Phase Ghost wrote:http://store.davesmithinstruments.com/p ... prod=P8MPE

Fockerz!!!

I bought the standard edition over the summer. I always wanted the pots version, but I didn't think it was coming. They do offer an upgrade kit for $225.00 that I may pick up in the future (or send to them rather). Maybe. I've actually come to like the encoders for certain things, but always wanted the pots. $225 more for a synth I already dropped a dime on...well....I don't know. Especially since I started down the modular road.

***edit: if you have basic soldering skills, you can do the conversion yourself for $175. ****
no way !
i did exactly the same thing, and at the time i asked dave smith if there was any plans for a pot edition module and he said no immedeate plans, so i went a bought an encoder model.

ouch !
boomstick
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boomstick »

why the beef with encoders? are the ones on the prophet flimsy or something?
beam me up
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

pots feel better and the ones on the DSI stuff are known for jumping to places you don't want.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Yeah, pots are superior for quick filter cuts. Honestly, the only place I really want the pots are on the low pass filter section. I'm pretty happy with the encoders every place else.

Where encoders shine is the ability to be saved. I know the upgrade kit or the PE edition use a combination of pots and encoders, but I'm not totally certain which is which.

As far as the jumpy encoders, don't be put off by the horror stories. Mine did the same thing. I would turn a knob left and the value would go up, skip tons of values, all types of sh!t. DSI sent me a tube of deoxit, I applied it and let it set over night. It works perfect now. No jumpy values at all. I almost can't believe how well it worked because mine was going crazy. I bought an extra tube of the deoxit just incase it happens in the future.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

absolutely no problem with encoders on mine, they fixed that problem after the first run,
but analogue pots are so much nicer to use, and yes you need that immedeate control for filter tweaking
i think the DSI pots will probably work the same way as the Moog voyager, theyre analogue pots and encoders at the same time. with the moog you can switch to 'real panel parameters'
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

Phase Ghost wrote:DSI sent me a tube of deoxit, I applied it and let it set over night. It works perfect now. No jumpy values at all. I almost can't believe how well it worked because mine was going crazy. I bought an extra tube of the deoxit just incase it happens in the future.
Oh woooord?? I just got my 08 the other day and have been having the jumpy encoder problem.
awesome, i'll write them and see if I can get them to send me some of that stuff too! ;)
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

steevio wrote:absolutely no problem with encoders on mine, they fixed that problem after the first run,
but analogue pots are so much nicer to use, and yes you need that immedeate control for filter tweaking
i think the DSI pots will probably work the same way as the Moog voyager, theyre analogue pots and encoders at the same time. with the moog you can switch to 'real panel parameters'
I got this synth yesterday and am really struggling to use it because of the encoders. I cant get the filter envelope to go below 120... I move it dead slow and it still goes up.