Soundcard problems

- ask away
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Soundcard problems

Post by lejockey »

I am running an M-Audio Audiophile USB soundcard on a dell laptop. I have had the thing for years, but dont often use it cos it is SO FCUKING USELESS. Always stutters, pops, crackles, or worse crashes the whole computer. I have downloaded the latest drivers, and have disabled the drivers for the internal soundcard. If anyone knows why it is doing this and can suggest some sollution, I would be eternally happy. I am reaching the end of my tether with this.
Phase Ghost
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Phase Ghost »

Replace the fucker.
Alex Bizzaro
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: Soundcard problems

Post by Alex Bizzaro »

lejockey wrote:I am running an M-Audio Audiophile USB soundcard on a dell laptop. I have had the thing for years, but dont often use it cos it is SO FCUKING USELESS. Always stutters, pops, crackles, or worse crashes the whole computer. I have downloaded the latest drivers, and have disabled the drivers for the internal soundcard. If anyone knows why it is doing this and can suggest some sollution, I would be eternally happy. I am reaching the end of my tether with this.
you have to disable your internal soundcard, turn off the audiophile usb, install the downloaded driver and after turn on your audiophile.
In case you don't listen any sounds, turn off the audhiophile and re-turn on..try this, it works...
4am
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by 4am »

hello
did you try to set up a higher buffer size? (latency)
could be the reason...

if you have the possibility, try to install the souncard on another computer, so you can find out if the reason is the soundcard or the computer
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

m-audio are notoriously bad.

some their devices are ok but some fill the internet with user reports of how they are shitty.

I had a firewire audiophile that always behaved nicely. it's actually on ebay right now for pretty cheap.

but probably i would recommend looking at some different options for soundcards.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i had the same thing happen to me with an Audio Kontrol 1, and i tried absolutely everything in the book, was about to throw the thing away, and it turned out to be the wireless internet connection on the Dell.
i thought i'd disabled it, but i'd only disabled it in the local area connection status box, not actually completely disabled it.

probably isnt your problem, but i thought it was worth mentioning.
lejockey
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lejockey »

@Steevio Thanks doode, disabling the wireless seems to have sorted the problem. I also increased the latency (thanks Andres). Things are sounding so much nicer now I am not running from my internal sound card, tho I think for gigs I might still use the internal as I am a little paranoid about the external. These things tend to go wrong at the worst possible moment!