turntables useless now? debat

- ask away
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

turntables useless now? debat

Post by ewinz »

Hi guys, I want to start a debat. Actually, we can some some dj stop to play with turntables, they just play with the mixer and traktor. Do you think turntables and vinyls are on the good way to disapear ? What's your setup and what do you think about this progress, welcome to the vinyl lovers in this thread. Personnaly I never played vinyl, I think you can do a better set just with a mixer and traktor + live sync ont it, it give a live motion to the dj set. Please dont injure me ;)
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

"We can SEE some djs"..
thomasjaldemark
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by thomasjaldemark »

why try to start this again? we've hade 10nds of these threads already and none of them lead us anywhere
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

Okay, I didnt know, I whant to launch this thread anywhere, just share some ideas. But aniway.
Rookas
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Rookas »

what are you talking about? sync makes it more live?:)))) you're kidding right
its all about the rhythm
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

no but you can realy focus on the fx, loops, and more
Spurn
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Spurn »

i think inevitably the reason none of these threads get anywhere is because it all boils down to personal preference. some people will say well vinyl SOUNDS better, and thats all well and nice in our little circles of dj friends and audiophiles but in the end it doesnt really matter because the majority of people going out to parties don't care HOW exactly the music is being pumped through the system, as opposed to the music itself and how the dj is relating it to the dance floor.

however, still there has to be some kind of connect with the audience because it is well known that using physical gear is a great way to make that connection. there's just something more about using vinyls or using turntables and probably even cdjs that seems more tangible. its like you really get the sense that that dj knows what theyre doing they know their records they know what to drop when and where and you can see them jumping around grabbing their vinyl of their cds and cueing up the tracks. it just kinda feels more real.

thats not to say that working with tracktor or live isnt. because there are tons of people who rock the crowd on that stuff, including yourself i take it ;) but sometimes to the crowd it can just look like the person is just playing a pre recorded mix, and they're just checking their email or something, lol. i think having a midi controller in this kind of set-up is needed at the very least.

when i go out i go out for both, to party have fun etc and to see a good show, i like to see the dj DOING something, i like to see that when he twists a knob sh!t gets crazy and i can hear the effects and i like to see them working their gear (thats what she said). i dont really care what they use, as long as the track selection is good, and its groovin, and the bass is shaking me by the balls on the dance floor i am good.

but like i said its all preference. personally, i just love vinyl. i love shopping for vinyl, though i dont do it enough. i love putting a vinyl on at home and listening. this goes back to my childhood sitting in my dads room hanging out late at night listening to him mix. but for my set-up i wanted a mixture of digital/analogue. i dont play out a lot (read: ever) but when im messing around at home or making dj mixes i use scratch live. i like being able to use my mp3s but controlling them physically with the control vinyls.

later on when i got ableton, mainly to produce, i started messing with it as a dj tool as well and its just not for me. i dont feel like im doing enough just pushing play on a clip. but thats just me, i havent messed with it much and i dont really see myself getting into it, tho i am excited about the bridge. i think joining scratch live and ableton live together will open up a lot of creative possibilities for me.

i dont think vinyl will ever be dead, not completely, not for awhile, every once in awhile a new generation of people discover it and breathe life back into it and i think there will always be a cult group of people who will buy and sell and trade and appreciate vinyl for a long time because the sound quality is just there. sometimes there are just things that like, for some reason you know are special, even if you cant fully explain why, and i think vinyl is like that even though there are tons of reasons to explain why i also believe vinyl carries this quality.

those are my seven cents, hope it helps.
Last edited by Spurn on Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ewinz
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ewinz »

the kind of answer I want to read, thanks :)