Considering switching to Mac with Logic

- ask away
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Considering switching to Mac with Logic

Post by lem »

Hello all,

I am a long time cubase user, I know it quite well. I think I get some ok results out of it. I was going to update my system and buy pro versions of my DAW software.

I can get a good price on logic, and the bundled plugin's are supposedly much more usable than the ones in cubase. Cubase is a lot more expensive than I can get logic for. To me it seems daft to buy cubase...
But it is what I am used to...

I was thinking of running it on a Mac Mini, as these seem quite good value. I can get a sick PC for the same amount, but I don't really think that I need a super-duper fast PC. I bounce a lot, cut, edit, mangle thats just how I roll. 8)
The price of a Mac mini seems ok to get a slice of apple pie.

I hear that OSX and Mac's are much more stable. And logic does come with plugin's that I would have to pay quite a lot to get PC equivilants.

I am wondering if Logic is going to be hard to learn to the level that I know cubase, and if anyone has made the switch, is there anything that they miss from cubase?
Im sure there is much more I need to ask, but my head is spinning like Dave Clarke in 97'.

If anyone has any thoughts or advice, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ali
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i find it pretty easy switching DAW. they all pretty much do the same thing. they all have slightly different aways of doing things which suit some people more than others. i used logic for years thinking it was the best DAW in the world until i got into pro tools. because i know logic well learning pro tools was easy but pro tools just seemed more natural to me. you might have the same experience as me. you might jump to logic and it's perfect for you or it might slow you down. it's all very personal and the only way you will find out is by giving it a go.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

its quite expensive to give it a go. It feels like a plunge to take...
how would you rate the plugin's of logic? do they live up to the hype?

I have experience using pro tools LE in a studio multitracking a band. It did seem relativly straight forward, but at the time i was still learning daw basics, so I wouldnt have realised its full potential.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

Logic has useable plugins. it's more complete than the others, it's got a plugin for just about everything. i miss a few things like the bitcrucher. it got a different sound to pro tools bitcruchers (more aggressive) and a few of the modulation effects like vibrato and the ringshifter or whatever it's called. instrument wise i liked the vintage keys emulations but never liked the synths.

i wouldn't recommend pro tools if your using lots of soft synths. logic handles them a bit better.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I never used any plugin instruments or midi in pro tools. about the time I used it I heard that the midi implementation wasnt very good in tools'.
I think this was sorted tho in PT8. But I havent had much dealings with it for several years...

I think logic looks like good value for money, when I was first getting into production it was really expensive, like £600 or £700.
Cubase is £500 at the mo and the effects plugins seem really limited. I dont really like any of the compressors and eq's...

Maybe I am just seeing greener grass on the other side, but creating much more work for myself...

What about the AU to VST wrapper? any experience with that? Does it cause any latency? is it buggy at all?

Thanks for ur replys Tone-def!

Ali
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

there are other options too. been a cubase user you might be interested in personus studio one. it's windows and mac so you can download a demo to see if it's for you. it's very similar to cubase as it was made be former cubase programmers. apparently it's got the best effects of any DAW and it's AU and VST compatible. a lot of people think it's going to be a serious contender. i'm keeping an eye on it.
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

Choose whatever makes you feel comfortable and good about yourself. Most of the times the decisions we make are not rational, they just satisfy our emotional needs, and only later we rationalize our decisions. And the more smarter one is the more elaborate and intelligent rationalization will one make.

Make a decision and make the best of it!
Raddler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Raddler »

I switched to Logic and really enjoy it. Although I can't seem to put a track together!!!! But i'm coming from Ableton!!. I don't think you'll have that problem if your coming from cubase. The synths and plugins really are top notch and as for the learning curve, it's really not as hard as everyone claims. There's a guy on you tube called sfxlogic ninja that becomes your personnal instructor anyways!! He has a tutorial on everything. I'd say go for it, I doubt you'll be dissapointed.