Ranting about licensing.

- open
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Ranting about licensing.

Post by PsyTox »

Just venting some frustration here, so feel free to ignore.

I've been deejaying for more then 20 years now. In that time, obviously I've come across lots of tracks and even some that back were pretty obscure and were only available on vinyl.
In the past few weeks I've tried to get some old gems to resurface as I believe they shouldn't be forgotten, and license them from the copyright owners. Well, just wanted to say that this is the most frustrating thing ever! Imagine that these publishers are sitting on huge catalogues of great music, were they don't make fck all money on, but instead of giving a license for the re-issue of these tracks (and getting cash for their artists they represent, mind you) they simply refuse to give licenses. I think that's completely ridiculous, not to mention idiotic. I can only imagine what enormous piles of fantastic tracks are left untapped somewhere.

*sigh* Really starting to believe the "old skool industry" deserves all the pounding and suffering that currently is coming their way.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Let's see if this thread can turn into a digital vs vinyl and old times vs new times (maybe even pc vs mac)...

:lol:
PsyTox
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by PsyTox »

:lol: use your powers wisely, spin doctor Bateman ;)
Barfunkel
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Barfunkel »

patrick bateman wrote:Let's see if this thread can turn into a digital vs vinyl and old times vs new times (maybe even pc vs mac)...

:lol:
You forgot Picard vs Kirk.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

On a more serious note.

I think there can be many reasons to why some artists/labels don't want to license tracks again.
Maybe they don't think the tracks would fit your label, maybe they don't find your label interesting, maybe they long time ago decided never to re-release the tracks again, maybe the masters/recordings doesn't exists any more and so forth, or maybe they already have other plans for re-releasing.

But I agree, it can be a pain in the ass.

oh by the way, it can also be that ancient aliens have stolen the master recordings and are using them in outer space!
New Guy
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by New Guy »

patrick bateman wrote: oh by the way, it can also be that ancient aliens have stolen the master recordings and are using them in outer space!
:lol: nasty
Edward_Molton
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Edward_Molton »

New Guy wrote:
patrick bateman wrote: oh by the way, it can also be that ancient aliens have stolen the master recordings and are using them in outer space!
:lol: nasty

Then they'll have taste as it's most of the time the crappy music that is re-licensed over and over.
Marcus Stork
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Marcus Stork »

Hahahaa! thanks for todays biggest laugh in the office!