What is this pad sound?

- ask away
databot
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

What is this pad sound?

Post by databot »

Snippet of what I'm talking about: http://rapidshare.com/files/390139142/snippet.mp3.html

So I was browsing tracks the other day and I came across this small part of a song with some pretty nice pads. I've been trying to recreate them using simple saws bandpassed with some white noise. The volume envelope is basically open allowing for the pad to be sustained while the notes are held down. The problem is my patch doesn't even come close. This sound is deceptive. I thought it would be simple, but apparently I'm missing something.

Perhaps it's also that I have the chords off, but I thought they were just F3Maj, D4Maj, A4Maj if I remember correctly... don't have my DAW file in front of me.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I'm pretty new at all this... :)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

Not sure if the source is saw, but either few detuned osc's or heavily chorused.
Try using Formant filter and a HP filter after.

Stomper.
Maiyal
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Maiyal »

Again, people should put soundclips on sites that can be streamed. I would never go through the trouble of downloading a clip from rapishare especially since I don't have an account.
databot
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by databot »

Maiyal wrote:Again, people should put soundclips on sites that can be streamed. I would never go through the trouble of downloading a clip from rapishare especially since I don't have an account.
Ask and ye shall receive:

http://streamthis.bandcamp.com/

Bandcamp is probably going to hate me now.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

It's a sample. I'm sure I have it, but would need to have a proper look. Pretty sure you don't care either way though as you're trying to recreate this sound.
databot
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by databot »

::BLM:: wrote:It's a sample. I'm sure I have it, but would need to have a proper look. Pretty sure you don't care either way though as you're trying to recreate this sound.
Only if the sample offers any clue as to how it was made, i.e. by it's title.

I'm sure originally it was achieved with a synth, I'm just trying to come up with a patch that approximates that sound and then I can treat it a little bit w/ EQ/filter/reverb etc.

Would you happen to know what the progression is or perhaps the oscillators are detuned to form a triad? I'm still trying to develop my musical ear. I can tell notes pretty well and get a feel for key, but I have a hard time still with progressions.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Have you got the Atmosphere synth? I'm pretty sure that would be able to create this sound. If you post up the MIDI file of what you think it is, I'll have a little play to see what I can come up with as I'm interested in this sort of sound too.
jessejames
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by jessejames »

it sounds like he is layering some "vocal/choir" samples. you know the ones.