wouldn't it be great if...

- ask away
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

wouldn't it be great if...

Post by Ingemar »

I was thinking about stuff that I would like to see software do, so why not start this as a wishlist topic with possible advice on where to find the sought after functions

- I would really like a synthesiser with an envelope generator that is relative to the quantisised note. Say that the attack is 10% of the note length and the decay is the next 40%, from there it is sustain, and after that release. Imagine playing long sweepy notes and choppy stabs with the same instance of a synth!

- Also wouldn't it be cool with a synth or application that would simulate the drone effect of those south african football horns. You have a sample or a sound source that gets played with 10.000+ voices with slightly different modulations.

- an actual, working version of the fabled mnml-vst

Does anyone have any tips on how to find/create these ideas?

Does anyone have any wouldn't-it-be-great-ifs themselves?
agodi
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by agodi »

Crowd Chamber simulates crowds type environments by multi layering variations of the sound souce and creating variations within the layers.
It'll rape your cpu though and doesnt sound very natural but Im sure there might be others around if you go searching for crowd generators.
http://www.quikquak.com/Prod_CrowdChamber.html
Heres a sample I did of a pestal and mortar processed through crowd chamber
http://www.zshare.net/audio/772143220ea2adc4/

You would probably get better results by doing it manually, multi layering the sound and changing the timing, volume and modulation of each layer.
loopdon
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by loopdon »

The envelope thing can be easily done it some synths that are stock with
FL Studio. 3osc for example. You can for example set the attack to be 'two steps' long etc.
And it will adjust to the tempo. You could also delay the start of the attack phase and so on. Just tried it again and it is a nice feature, indeed. You can also change the slope types of the attack/decay etc and do the same stuff to filter envelopes and pitch envelopes (-)
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i'm not sure if you can do this already but...

if your using Pro Tools as a rewire host with Record. can you record into Record using a second interface or can you only use the hardware Pro Tools is using?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: wouldn't it be great if...

Post by steevio »

Carl Smart wrote: - Also wouldn't it be cool with a synth or application that would simulate the drone effect of those south african football horns.
haha you must be the only person in the world right now who wants to hear more vuvuzelas ;)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Yes, i was wondering what the hell that noise was. They never stop.
Ingemar
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Ingemar »

@ Agodi, that was pretty much exactly what I wanted. Cheers! Time to do some borg-style vocals :P

@ Loopdon, I'm familiar with the 3xOsc and some other synths with syncable envelopes - FM8 for instance - but when syncing like that it is not relative to how long the quantisised note is.

regarding vuvuzelas, have anyone ever tried muting the tellie and and playing records while watching instead? Have a cup of coffee as your doing it as well and at least I'm in heaven.
widdly
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by widdly »

You can do envelopes segments that are a percentage of the note duration in csound. It works there because the sequence (they call it a score) in csound specifies the note pitch and duration. VST sequencers and midi work with a note on event and a note off event so I can't see how it would work.