Producing with Yamaha HS80m

- ask away
flyingdutchman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Producing with Yamaha HS80m

Post by flyingdutchman »

Hey guys,

I'm shopping for my first production gear, which will be placed in an empty attic with a size of 4x3,5 meters (13x11.5 feet).

I want to produce house/deep/electro/techno/minimal etc., so music based on beats. I have a nice second hand deal in negotiation to get the yamahas hs80m (without the sub), but I would like to know your opinion about the following:

- Is it a good choice for this type of music production? I went to a music shop and the owner said that they're not as good as Adam,krk or genelec when using them for those genres.
- Is my room big enough for these monitors?
- I assume the additional sub is not necessary to buy since the monitors have an 8inch woofer and low-end of 42hz, am I correct?
- Another requirement is to use them for djiing and general usage like listening records, mostly in the same genres plus DnB,Dubstep,etc.. Do you think they are also suitable for that?

It must be a repeated story for you to have this kind of questions, so I apologize for that and I also understand that it all comes to how I perceive the monitors, room acoustics, etc.. I would appreciate alot if you could answer my questions specially if you are producing one of those genres.

Thank you!
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Producing with Yamaha HS80m

Post by tone-def »

flyingdutchman wrote: - Is it a good choice for this type of music production? I went to a music shop and the owner said that they're not as good as Adam,krk or genelec when using them for those genres.
typical salesman trying to get you to buy something more expensive! i would actually choose the yamaha's over all those manufactures monitors in the same price range.
flyingdutchman wrote:- Is my room big enough for these monitors?
should be ok.
flyingdutchman wrote:- I assume the additional sub is not necessary to buy since the monitors have an 8inch woofer and low-end of 42hz, am I correct?
you wont need a sub especially in that size room.
flyingdutchman wrote:- Another requirement is to use them for djiing and general usage like listening records, mostly in the same genres plus DnB,Dubstep,etc.. Do you think they are also suitable for that?
there good monitors but are a bit fatiguing. i would rather dj with hi fi speakers or something thats not so harsh sounding.
flyingdutchman
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by flyingdutchman »

Thanks for the reply tone-def! Just checked your tracks, good stuff! Any other opinions?
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

I use them and they are excellent IMO A bargain for the price as well. Have to say that I blew one tweeter a couple of moons ago but Thomman sent DHL round to pick it up and I had a new one 10 days later. Great service from them. They give super detail, and I have found myself monitoring at much lower levels as a result. Anyway I reckon they're the bollocks and for 420 quid? No brainer. Someonelikeyou.
diego vega
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by diego vega »

I have them and use them regularly for producing and listening to music (tech house/minimal techno).

They are great, the bass is more than enough you don't need a sub!

Get them you won't regret it...
CBLVSN
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by CBLVSN »

Would a sub be needed for the 5inch versions (hs50m) of the same speaker
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

i <3 my hs80's. most people i know that have them <3 them as well.
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

CBLVSN wrote:Would a sub be needed for the 5inch versions (hs50m) of the same speaker
unless u have a very small room i would save up for the hs80s...

some people say its better to have smaller deskboxes and a proper sub but ive tried both and the 80s won me over. and if u have a small room its a really bad idea...

it depends on ur room but id wait and get the 80s..