DSI Evolver desktop

- ask away
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

DSI Evolver desktop

Post by blizt »

First of all I already now there where some posts years ago about this one, but since i have a big interest i'm looking for more updated information. I'm planning on buying this synth, looks pretty solid, has a reasonable price, and i've read comments here about how good it is.

But one of my worries is if it's really hard to program it to get a decent sound, because at first sight all that grid seems a bit confusing to be honest... It's not that I want things to be done fast and easy, but maybe should i save a bit more and get the keyboard version instead? Can anyone share his experience on this one? Also can someone point me on tracks that may feature this little synth. Thanks.
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Re: DSI Evolver desktop

Post by dubgil2 »

blizt wrote: Also can someone point me on tracks that may feature this little synth. Thanks.

tone-def?
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

yeah, i've just sold one. it's not that it's a bad synth or anything. i just like things a bit more simple and i need money. i found i wasn't really using the digital side of things and it seemed like a waste in my possession. i got use to the matrix editing pretty quickly. the only thing that pissed me off about it was some times i would change patch by accident without saving. so make sure you save you patch every once in a while.

the bass on these tracks are the Evo

http://soundcloud.com/aj-reynolds/orange

http://soundcloud.com/aj-reynolds/swim-the-channel
Audio Dependent
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Audio Dependent »

i have one - i use it all the time. i tend to use the computer editor much more to get the shape of a patch down and then the grid to tweak and edit patches. I love it - you can get really interesting and dynamic patches from it. lots of modulation sources and destinations and internal output hack is a nice feature.

here are some tracks i have used it on:

http://soundcloud.com/audio-dependent/b01-2

in this one its the long minor chords that get more distorted as the track progresses.

http://soundcloud.com/audio-dependent/date-nut

this one is the simple stabs that run throughout and the tone underneath.

it is pretty much in all the other tracks on my soundcloud and all the way through my liveset...

i like it and i find it sits well with my other synths but its not going to satisfy all your synth needs... i also have a mopho for big fat analog bass, and a virus b for more polyphonic bits and anything else.
Torque
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Torque »

I had one for over a year and i liked it but not so much for the synth. I liked to use it for it's filter and distortion. I basically just ran sound through it.

I liked the sequencer but i found it way too stiff and it always needed to be loosened up by recording the sequencer midi track into my mpc and swinging it. After that i usually just ran the recorded midi out to another synth with more sound presence. I don't know what it is about the thing but for some reason when you get more than two oscillators going on it it doesn't quite cut through in the mix. I loved the functionality of it and it was actually pretty easy to grasp and use but ultimately i had some far cheaper synths around that had allot more guts and allot more versatility. On the other hand, the filter and the distortion on it are straight up brutal and are right up there with anything.

If i was to do it again i would go for a poly evolver
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

THanks for the comments guys. I've been thinking about this for a while and i m going to save prpobably a bit more and take the mono evolver keyboard version instead. THe poly evolver looks sweet but if i think was to spend 2000 euros on a piece of hardware I instead will buy this thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dXhXg58rDM
marcobenatti
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Poly Evolver

Post by marcobenatti »

Hy
If you can afford one go for the poly evolver. It's the secreat weapon of a lot of producer. Evolver deskotop has a great sound and has a lot of modulation source making the sound more organic (e.g. using lfo to slightly modulate pitch or filter, using a Env to modulate lfo etc,) Also using the sequencer to modulate different parameter (delay time, filter etc) is a great function.

BUT remember!! :!: it is a MONO synth. So you will miss polyphonie, no chord! the only way is to "Fake" chord by setting more oscillator to different frequencies, but you will never come close to a poly evolver. So if you can afford it go for the poly version. My advice. Regards
blizt
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by blizt »

Just stopping by to say i finally ordered the mono version. I'll post some feedback after playing around with the thing :D