room accoustics.

- ask away
JakeScott
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

room accoustics.

Post by JakeScott »

Hi people I was wondering if anyone could help me? Iv noticed when iv been producing music through my headphones (mnml) the music sounds full and rich with lots off bass. when i put it through my monitors however the kick drum seems to be very flat and looses most of its bass. is this the headphones masking terrible production or the room acoustics? advice would be greatly appreciated thank you!
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

if you have no accoustic treatment in the room, than headpones with a plugin like redline monitor will give you a better picture of whats going on than good monitors with bad room.
http://www.112db.com/redline/monitor/

i also recommand to a/b your track with commercial stuff and compare them.
JakeScott
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by JakeScott »

cheers for the advice mate!
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

if you are serious about producing mate, dont use headphones. period.

if its just a hobby, then Stomper is right.

there is a lot of rubbish talked about room acoustics, ive had 5 studios in different shaped and sized rooms, and in all of them ive managed to get a reasonable sound with decent monitors properly positioned, and no acoustic treatment whatsoever.
and they dont have to be expensive monitors either, just dont go for the real budget ones.

i'll prbabably get flamed for this, but its from my experience.

ok you arent going to get totally accurate EQ, but in my opinion its good enough as long as you reference on different systems to be sure what the weaknesses in your room acoustics/monitors are.

in other words if your mixes seem bass light or heavy you have to adjust to compensate, and always keep it in mind when youre mixing.
you will get used to it quite quickly.

if you feel ready to move up to a more professional level, thats the time to start thinking high end monitors / acoustic treatment.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

michaellpenman wrote:Mate headphones are fine. I work with a lot of top producers and the use headphones.
which top producers use solely headphones to produce on ??

i'm sure you can dig out a name or two.

but the vast majority use near or mid-field monitors.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Yeah I agree. There are a few producers I know that use headphones and they have better sounding music then most. I haven't used decent headphones before, but they tell me they can hear a lot more then what they could do when they used monitors.

The people i know are Jesse Rose, Patrice Baumel and Chris Lattner. I have spokt to them about it and they love using their headphones over monitors. I prefer to have my music playing loud, so it would never work for me.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

::BLM:: wrote:Yeah I agree. There are a few producers I know that use headphones and they have better sounding music then most. I haven't used decent headphones before, but they tell me they can hear a lot more then what they could do when they used monitors.

The people i know are Jesse Rose, Patrice Baumel and Chris Lattner. I have spokt to them about it and they love using their headphones over monitors. I prefer to have my music playing loud, so it would never work for me.
do they not have monitors ?

do they never use monitors to check their mixes ?

i actually like using headphones, but i would never totally rely on them for a mixdown. they give a distorted sense of reverb, which normally sounds way better than it does when pumped through a sound system.

anyway its all subjective, too many variables, types of music, quality of headphones, etc. etc.
Last edited by steevio on Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I know that Chris (as he is on my label) only uses headphones. He never checks his mixes before sending them to be pressed onto vinyl. I would go as far as saying that on FOF he has the strongest sound (sound quality wise) He just uses his headphones plugged into his mac and off he goes. He doesn't even use a proper soundcard, just the one that comes in the apple mac.

Patrice has monitors, but chooses to mix on his headphones as he said he can hear everything better.