Another of those... "how can I sound like that guy"

- ask away
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Another of those... "how can I sound like that guy"

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

'ello, don't be irate but I have longed for an answer to this question. in the song "The Rising Sun by The Beloved" what is the type of synth used to create that iconic bassline?

Its a pretty old song (1989) so one would think that this info would be found somewhere in the internet but I have looked occasionally for sometime now and have found no info on said subject. I have remembered this particular bassline since my youth and have always liked it and how want to have my curiosity satisfied. An for those of you who want to complain about yet another guy with a question about a particular sound... go hang yourself to your music that nobody likes.

Not to get on a tangent but... ok, honestly... sometimes I wonder about some folks on here. I bet the only reason a substantial proportion of people come on here is because they want to learn more about the sounds that enthrall them and the way people get all irate about their amateur questions is kind of small minded.

I came across this song the other day and listened to it again and thought.. gee I need to find out about this synth because I have always likes its qualities. Then I thought to ask a question on this forum and then my immediate thought was that some douchbag know-it-all-but-withholds-it would start a flame fest. I ask... what does that say about mnml.nl? Not good things I think unless you respect people who are willing offer nothing but scorn.

Not that any of these things matter much to me... it was just an observation. I just want to know what kind of synth they are using!

Knowledge is important, not opinions.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

is that the song with the lyric, 'its just the sun rising' in a whisper kinda way?

I can hear the song in my head and the bassline. Sh101? Just a guess.
nakoradiomies
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by nakoradiomies »

this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2hzlEdXsg0

i think it is yamaha dx something..all thought it can be the sh-101 because there is some synthlead action witch could be sh..dunno

but hey cool track it is! would like to have a acapella from it:)
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Just heard that song, I don't think it's an SH101 now. Maybe an analog/digital hybrid of some sort. There's something slightly digital/DCO about the sound to my ears.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bdj98mvr6s If that version is the exact same synth and patch, you'll hear what I mean.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i reckon.

monophonic square or pulse wave plus filter. probably analogue.
livecollective
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by livecollective »

it sounds like a sine or lowpassed triangle, ran through a compressed chorus, almost sounds like a donk noise...
Shepherd_of_Anu
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Shepherd_of_Anu »

hmm, a range of possibilities. Could be a square, triangle or a pulse wave created by analogue or DCO... and there is a donk noise involved. :) Whatever the instrument used was I get the feeling that it was a pretty common synth in the late 80's.

I think the same type of synth was used by Mr. Fingers On Can you Feel It.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFuujExs03A

There are soooo many versions of this uploaded to youtube and none of them sound the close same so it hard to tell but the bass sounds very similar except more of the higher frequency ranges are audible. I am not sure but I have suspected that its the same instrument but The Beloved had a low pass on it.

I may never know the exact answer to this. Thanks for the thoughts though.. back to The Lab!
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i am 80% sure sh101 or something very similar.

square/pulse wave . . . i would place money on it.

software probably won't get you the right feeling, but something technically similar.

the sound also comes from how the bass fits into the mix. on it's own it might not sound right.