Best Production Software to start on

- ask away
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Best Production Software to start on

Post by mattburns »

Hi all

I've had Logic Pro for well over a year now and everytime i try to get into it I just get completely overwhelmed and put off. I know it's an amzing DAW but would you recommend learning on something like Reason or Ableton to get me started?

or should i stick with Logic?
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

Reason!

use ableton too, but i feel like in Ableton you can lose yourself with all the tricks and buttons and not really appreciate what one thing is doing and doing well.

with reason your able to see the relationships between units and come up with new ones. im still learniing and having fun.
signatures suck
lcaise
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by lcaise »

FL Studio.
facebook.com/lcaise.official
facebook.com/tanztonerecords
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

Just stick to Logic, you would only regret it in the long run.
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

i think this question that comes out is 'what daw do you use?'
everyone will just recommand you the daw they are using.
big part of it is because there is no simple DAW. each has its own learning curve, but you still need to learn it.

try to go easy and stop looking how to learn the daw. try to learn how to do the specific things you are trying to do, in that daw.

Stomper.
mattburns
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by mattburns »

did you start on Logic BLM?

it seems to have a very steep learning curve compared to others and I'm wondering if it would be better to learn the basics on something more basic, and work my way up from there, and possibly back to logic.

Or am i talking rubbish?
Upcoming Gigs
Twitch presents Function (Sandwell District) on 16th March in The Empire, Belfast. Support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//Phil Lucas.

Twitch presents Lerosa on 9th April in QUBSU with support from Matt Burns//Paddy Towe//NEZ//Phil Lucas
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

I havent used Logic before. I can only speak from my experience though. I started on Cubase, then some numpty told me Reason was better so I moved over to that. And I got so comfortable with that it took me about 7 years to get off it and move onto something else.

I would just stick Logic out, because once you understand that you pretty much are going to be able to use any daw. If you want the learn the basics, just read books on Logic or follow step by step youtube videos. Someone said do specific tasks which is great advice. You're not going to use all of Logic, so you might as well just learn the bits you are going to use.

What are you getting stuck on?
someonelikeyou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by someonelikeyou »

Stick with Logic!!! Never give up man!!! When I look back 6 years or so when I first started using Logic I was just as frustrated as you!!! Just when I thought I was getting somewhere I would come up against something else I did'nt understand. I had'nt used a computer for 10 years either!!! As others have said read the manuals (I used to take them to bed!!) and everything else you can on the subject. It seems very complex and technical I know but slowly, as you learn, it all starts to fit together and you will realise how all of this mumbo jumbo will let you express yourself musically through your computer. It's just like learning any other musical instrument. Practice Practice!!!
What exactly are you getting stuck on? Feel free to PM me if you like or reply here with your problems and headaches. We are here to help!!!! KEEP ON!!!
Someonelikeyou.