question about edits and efx in the current climate

- ask away
db2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

question about edits and efx in the current climate

Post by db2 »

Before the days of traktor, scratch, digital looping tools, live effects, computer aided djing, it was up to the producer to put in the edits, efx, etc.

Sometimes this was to great benefit. Other times it was because no one else in the production chain had the technological or creative freedom to do so.

So my question, is how do you feel about putting lots of edits, major fx, and other action into your track these days now that the dj has the creative freedom to do them him/herself?

Now don't get me wrong at all, I'm not talking about being lazy on the production front, there's plenty of progression to be made there, but more in terms of sweeps, noise, edits, delays, etc, where do you stand on putting them in your tracks as much today as you did in the past years?

Just some food for thought.

d
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

I think as a producer you have a different point of view than a dj.
If theres a need for effects than ill just do it, if not i wont.
im not looking to make a dj life eaiser nor harder. i just dont care. i produce my music to sound good and to make people move on the dance floor as it is.
if a dj wants to use effects on it, why not. if not, it should still sound good and move the dancefloor.

to be honest, i dont hear that much difference in structre. only different sounds and timbres.

Stomper.
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

As I see it there are different point of views...to be honest, I'm an old shcool dj, records, normal analog mixer without effex, I just play with the Eq...I hate fx on dj sets, I think fxs are here to make the dj feel he is actually creating something new, and that he is "part of the track", when he's actually just doing plaggia...I hate that. I think it's up to the producer to create tense, using effex etc... It's as if a dj would re-master a track using compressors/Eqs while playing the track live !
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

i'm with the other guys.

i make my music to sound as good as it possibly can be.

i dont edit or use effects anyway, apart from a tiny amount of reverb.

you have to question what effects actually do anyway. they usually sound obvious to me, and it doesnt impress me at all when DJs use them, infact it actually puts me off a DJ if he has to smoother everything in effects to try to impress.

one of the things that attracted me to minimal music in the first place, was the space within the music to hear what the musician intended us to hear.

i have faith in the muscians and their message. i have less faith in the DJs to improve on that message by cluttering it up with pointless delays etc. to get a cheer from the floor.

just my 2 cents

ps i'm a DJ as well as a musician, so this is not some 'diss DJs' post.
what impresses me most about a DJ is his choice of tunes, the way he puts it all together, his ability to change moods and build excitement.
he should be able to do that without edits or effects.
i dont actually consider the DJ at all when i write a tune, other than giving him some space to mix with on the intro/outro. i suppose thats old skool.

i suppose theres a difference between someone who makes tunes as DJ tools, and someone who just wants to write music. different disciplines.
mizzdirekt
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by mizzdirekt »

Back before computers we used to bust on the dj's that would only use tricks and effects and were not able to mix properly, or put together a decent set.
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

Just because a producer have made the perfect track, doesn't mean that it will fit every situation and time at every party, so if a DJ needs to EQ it a bit different, add a bit of efx or something else, I can't see this should be a problem, but of course it shouldn't be one big efx mix.

I don't have a problem with DJ's using tools, as long as it's used so it flows with the music, instead of being a mix of tracks on one side and efx on the other side.
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

patrick bateman wrote:Just because a producer have made the perfect track, doesn't mean that it will fit every situation and time at every party, so if a DJ needs to EQ it a bit different, add a bit of efx or something else, I can't see this should be a problem, but of course it shouldn't be one big efx mix.

I don't have a problem with DJ's using tools, as long as it's used so it flows with the music, instead of being a mix of tracks on one side and efx on the other side.
i dont see it as a problem either, its just that i dont consider it when writing a tune thats all.
i have no control over what DJs do with my tunes once they are out there, the good ones will try to get my signal across to the floor, others will put a 1 bar loop on a tune which was never written that way and bang a load of effects on, and the integrity of the music is lost.
i know which ones i book for my party.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

A DJ can't single out elements of a track and effect them, it has to be the whole track so I think its quite different.

And most of the time, a dj mix laden with fx and querky loops does sound over the top, I remember when James Zabiela used to do all these weird 3 minute breakdowns using loops and fx, I just thought 'whats the point?'...Hawtin has been guilty of this too! Its a bit like showing off!!