That Dirtybird Sound

- ask away
knapkin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

That Dirtybird Sound

Post by knapkin »

You know what I mean,

Big boomy bass 808's, sparse, spacy production, silly samples & incredible grooves

What goes into this? Everything just works so well!! (J Philip, Justin Martin . . . )

I've been loving their sound for a while now, but can't ever touch it!
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

You already got the receipe if i take a look at your post
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

CVS is infamous for using Reason.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_v4fxbqaIQ
hydrogen
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by hydrogen »

dirtybird is the bomb. good luck with the emulation!!
------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

Produce some electro house but exclude all cheesyness.
databot
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by databot »

boudo wrote:Produce some electro house but exclude all cheesyness.
impossible. electro house is defined by it's cheesiness :D
knapkin
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by knapkin »

boudo wrote:Produce some electro house but exclude all cheesyness.
I was thinking this last night, listening to the Justin Martin Essential Mix, Alot of the electro vibe, without being over the top.
Ldizzy
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Ldizzy »

i think it has a lot to do with the foundation groove.

cvs said in an interview that it took him a very long time to find good grooves but that once he had them it was a matter of working on one idea. from what my ears tell me, he also seems to work with the same sounds in most of his productions.

Boom type kicks, with very little midrange content. topped with a glitchy perc... and more agressive hihats coupled with a bunch of incidentals to make the loop less repetitive. then a cheezy vocal.

his basslines often span an octave and in the interview posted above he stresses the fact that he often separates them on two channels to give them ''complementary'' eqs so that they hit around the same frequency no matter their pitch... funny thing is that he sounds like he considers it a very cleaver trick ahahah

...pretty basic production wise.. he just worked his craft until he had a style.

for the figetty part of his sound i guess it always has to do with a ''concept''.. his tracks often have concepts... one or two at most, that are emphasized thru the piece.

he also often builds up tension that leads to nothing... but thats not new to anyone around here...

only part of what he does that sounds intimidating to me is his melodic approach... the guy has a proper sense of pop melody, which, as many tend to forget, is a talent.

as for his labelmates, it depends on which one...

space and pace are a matter of knowing what u do... its true for any type of art..