Bass EQ question?

- ask away
loulou
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Bass EQ question?

Post by loulou »

Hi!

I got a big problem with my basses. They seem to end up very muddy og sort of "in the background"-ish. I've tried all sort of things but i guess its a question of right Eq'ing or do any of you got a better tip on this?

- Lou
TechnoMusic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by TechnoMusic »

Generally its all about EQ. You need to decide which frequencies are essential for the bass sound and then do some sculpting to remove those frequencies from other sounds in the mix.

Essentially a decent rule of thumb is to try to never have two sounds competing over the same frequency range. So for example if your kicks essential sound is in the 100-300hz range try to EQ cut the bass at that point and if the bass sounds essential sound is in the 350hz - 600hz range then eq the parts of the kick and other sounds that are competing with it in that range.

There is also the option of kick triggered sidechain compression on the bass & other sounds which will allow you to mix your kick lower and still leave it with presence.
Visit my http://technomusicnews.com/ News & Minimal Techno Blog
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

TechnoMusic wrote: So for example if your kicks essential sound is in the 100-300hz range try to EQ cut the bass at that point and if the bass sounds essential sound is in the 350hz - 600hz range then eq the parts of the kick and other sounds that are competing with it in that range.
that's going to sound rubbish. bass in the mid range?
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

if you want your bass to cut through it needs to have its own part of the frequency spectrum to operate in.

EQ is not the best way to acheive this, filtering is.

first of all make sure the notes you are using are the right ones, the fundamental frequency is most important, this should be in the range of between very approximately 37Hz (D1) and 196Hz (G3). with 82Hz (E2) being the most effective in terms of power. im not sure what TechnoMusic was talking about, but it certainly wasnt bass.

the you must shave off the upper harmonics with a lowpass filter (24dB / octave type) if you're using a square / pulse or sawtooth wave, the best way to do this is using an envelope with a fairly short decay which allows a short burst of higher harmonics to give the bass some attack so it cuts through rhythmically, then sustain to allow the fundamental bass note to fill out the bottom end, but filtering out the frequencies which compete with the other elements in your track in the low midrange (250 - 500 Hz).

using a square wave or pulse, rather than a sawtooth to create your bass will leave more room and give you a purer tone with less harmonics.

experment with envelopes controlling filters, this is the key. having a seperate envelope for volume and filter also helps, experiment with different amounts of decay, sustain and release on each envelope.

you can also highpass filter your track elements that are in the low midrange, so that no subharmonics interfere with your bass.

if youre just starting out and dont understand filters / envelopes etc. get reading up about it, its one of the most important things to learn in electronic music production.

there are lots of ways to make bass, but this is the simplest and most effective imo.

make sure your kick is either in tune (harmony)with the bass, eg. a perfect fifth above or below your bass, OR have a very short decay so that it doesnt clash if there are any dissonant frequencies, and probably most importantly, keep your bassline simple.

sidechaining is an effect and not necessary for a good bottom end, experiment with that after you've got the rest right first.
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

@ steevio ;

An eq is a filter
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

kdgh wrote:@ steevio ;

An eq is a filter
you know what i'm talking about. you know that the circuits differ, a lowpass filter is dedicated to a specific job, therefore does it better, with more precise control.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_filter

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equalization
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think Steevio knows what he's talking about.

Filtering and eqing are similar technologies, but the application is totally different.

I believe that's he's totally 100% correct about using a filter ahead of a fixed eq. To me, it's like a bass player asking how to get a certain playing style... using a filter is like saying how to get the sound by changing how you move the strings with your fingers... using a eq is like saying 'well we'll just record it as it is and then fiddle around with it later'.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the main difference is filters cut the sound and EQ is gain control for a certain frequency band.