New ableton producer asking a simple question

- ask away
breakerzz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

New ableton producer asking a simple question

Post by breakerzz »

Listening to mnml music since 5 years now...i think its time to do a bigger step... currently studying in music technology and already starting to produce music...not so experienced as a dj but seems that the whole dream is going well...

I need to do some good start with my ableton today... i was searching the default samples / midi files the program has to offer, and i saw that these samples are not exactly what im looking for, so.... need your advice for that... where can i find some good mnml/techno based libraries to download and experiment ?

EDIT: Talking about ableton live 8 libraries..

any tip is more than just appreciated.. :D
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

the best thing you can possibly do is avoid libraries and make your own sounds. what level are you studying music technology? if it's degree level they will be encouraging you to make your own authentic sounds. that could be by synthesis or recording.

i know it's not what you want to hear but i'm sure you would want you music to stand out and as your in education you probably want to learn.
breakerzz
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by breakerzz »

the studies is 2 years in a total, im in the 1st grade, i know that the best is to create ur own sounds, but still.... i have to start from somewhere!! :D
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

for easy drum creation you could look at the D16 drum machines Drumazon (TR-909), Nepheton (TR-808), Nithonat (TR-606), Waldorf Attack, Sonic Charge Microtonic, Native Instruments Battery (sampler) and Native Instruments Reaktor (has everything you need but it's complicated, good beats though).

good soft-synths for learning synthesis are Arturia Prophet V and U-He Ace. they have got easy to understand interfaces and once you master one of them you can move onto other synths. Ace sounds better but the Prophet is easier to use.

these options give you much more control over your sounds and you will learn a lot more than just using samples, most of which you might not like.
Bionic_Eye
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Bionic_Eye »

one advise dont download lots of synths
take one and spend many many times with it
once you understand it you understand many many synths
personally operator / analog are great synths
i like the microtonic as well its easier to get good sounds out of it

and if you still want to download a livepack
on the ableton site there is a M_nus livepack
dubgil2
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dubgil2 »

Bionic_Eye wrote:one advise dont download lots of synths
take one and spend many many times with it
once you understand it you understand many many synths
personally operator / analog are great synths
i like the microtonic as well its easier to get good sounds out of it

and if you still want to download a livepack
on the ableton site there is a M_nus livepack
that live pack opened my eyes to how incredible LIVE is...
- I have just been using live as a multracking, from session view. (like a tape recorder basically)
- Because livepacks like this, LIVE maybe too much for me actually. It's a challenge, but a bit to much mousing for me, I'm better at just tooling around with hardware...

best of luck

I 2nd the suggestion - download one softsynth, master it, and then if you don't like it move to the next one.

Synth1 is a freebie and well done.
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

I would agree with the above try and learn some sound design and using effects etc - all you really need at this stage is Suite and learn and study (I have been using Ableton from a newbie for about 6 months and still learning)

There are plenty of tuts on YT and beyond to help you grasp the basics - also I would recommend Sylynth1 a really easy interface and four oscs to help you understand sound creation

But most important experiment and have fun :)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

Operator is an amazing softsynth, I'm recently starting to think one of the best there is.
Analog is good. And you're pretty much covered :)
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...