Anyone whos clued up with laptops help? £1000

- ask away
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Anyone whos clued up with laptops help? £1000

Post by kristofason »

Ive got £1000 english sterlings to spend on a nice new laptop!
Ive asked the question of 'best laptop under £1000' on google but the answers have differed and the shear scale of different specs etc has left me confused! Especially as its goin to be a music production laptop so Im not gonna need a 'blueray writer' or 'lightscribe' and whatever else bullshit..

I'm not getting a mac because I want a smooth transfer of all my projects from 1 pc to another. I was thinkin maybe a Lenovo or VAIO but Ive since been told theyre a bit sh!t. Can anyone in the know help me out a bit?

Cheers!
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I think you kinda have to bite the bullet at some point.. Everyone is going to have different opinions on laptops as model's from the same manufacturer differ so much.
This is the good thing about Mac's, same certified hardware. A lot of the problems are addressed as everyone is using the same thing.

Saying that, I always heard that sony's were good, as are HP's. In the Traktor forum many people seem to be using HP's.
Might be worth checking out peoples sig's on Traktor or Ableton forums?
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by patrick bateman »

For 1000 I would guess you could get a very decent PC laptop. Go for the bigger brands (imo).

HP, Lenovo, Vaio, Dell.
Configure them so you strip out the most bullshit you don't need.
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

One thing to bear in mind is that if you buy a laptop via mail order then try to use it in every situation you can to see if there is noise from the PSU, audio glitches. Just basically put it through its paces. Some of these problems you possibly won't be able to fix.

If it doesn't satisfy, you can send it back for a full refund.
dyte
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by dyte »

You can add Toshiba to the list of good Windows based laptops.

One thing that's worth doing is a fresh install of Windows if you can, if not spend some time removing any applications that come pre-installed.
kristofason
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by kristofason »

Cheers for this peoples, Im toying on an Acer Aspire Ethos 8943G or SONY Vaio VPCF 13M0E/B (at the minute).....I think a fresh install would be a must...dunno wether it would be wise to put a 'Tiny' version of 7 on there....

One thing that throws me with buyin this lappy is that some i5 machines are more expensive than i7's..Im wondering if an i7 is overkill??
lem
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by lem »

I would say that a i7 is probably overkill. But its hard to say without knowing how you like to work. I think its nice to have a super fast computer, but it's not essential.
But if its cheaper...