A mnml course in music production

- ask away
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

A mnml course in music production

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

It's been a long time since I was active on this forum and also since i was active with my musicproduction but now i feel i'm back at both and the brake has given me a few new perspectives.

Since there is often somebody asking for a guide or tips on recreating a sound or somebody asking for good tutorials or a good online course to learn more, I thought it would be great if we tried to have a free online course where we are both the students and the teachers.

The problem as I see it with people asking how to recreate sound is that:

1. It's a one way learning process the person asking might learn something new but the person teching will most probably not gain anything from the experience.
2. Learning how to create a single sound without understanding the tools and the process, you will not gain any new skills just a new sound that you might as well sampled or gotten of a CD.

My idea with this is that we together formulate a problem or a homework assignment that we work on individualy and then discus together.

For example one idea for an assignment could be to recreate different Kicks using just a:
basic kick sample
a compressor
an EQ

What do you think about this idea? Is it possible? What problems do you see? Would you be intrested if it would become reality?
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

I think it's an excellent Idea, the problem might be to gather all the infos and NOT have a debate on how this or that should be done...only infos.
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
codix
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by codix »

Good Idea.

I see problems in the farious DAWs that are around(cause some people just don´t have the money for Ableton). So so guys start with this and
some with that.

Same things with VSTs and other stuff. (Money should not be a part of the basic learning process)

So maybe when something gets build, it should mostly use free software, so everyone can start right out of the course.

Maybe it could be like all the programming tutorials outthere.
First teaching the basics of sound synthesis, using examples, everyone can repreduce and understand.

And maybe later the more advanced things.

Just some points. Keep the ideas floating around.

:-)
XIII NRV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by XIII NRV »

I agree, but an Eq is an Eq, compression as well...the programmation of a synth is the same, a sin is a sin, square is a square etc etc...So I agree with the fact that it might change a bit depending on the DAW, but whatever your workflow is, it more or less is always the same process...
:::::::::boom tchak boom boom tchak:::::::::::

http://soundcloud.com/richard-hautin
databass
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by databass »

this is a great idea. I'm new here but not new to production and would be interested in getting involved
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

the problem might be to gather all the infos and NOT have a debate on how this or that should be done...only infos.
I think debating how things should be done is a part of it. Discussing whats a good exercise or whats a good source for information is a good way of learning stuff as well.
I see problems in the farious DAWs that are around(cause some people just don´t have the money for Ableton). So so guys start with this and
As XIII already pointed out i think the best soloution would be to only have exercises that can be done in any DAW and with only basic equipment. I guess some things might be required like EQs, Compressors a way of using sampled sounds and perhaps a basic soft synth. Still avoiding unique tools from for example ableton.
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

I am no expert but this is a great idea and happy to share what little knowledge I have
NomadSpectrum
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by NomadSpectrum »

Sorry I thought I would bump this as I think its a pretty good idea even if only a few off us get involved