is creating really jacking music the biggest challange?

- ask away
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

is creating really jacking music the biggest challange?

Post by regler »

I just ask myself this question since a short time.... is making music which wants to make you dance and move your body the biggest challange?

for me it is, I find it way more easy to make "normal" music, beautiful cinematic music, sad music with temping chords and melodies or so called IDM than making a jacking house tune which gives you that "I have to dance to that tune" feeling.

is it just me? I thought about if the reason for this is just the fact that I have more talent at other music areas or in other words... that making jacking dance music is not my talent.
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

Here are my observations: I notice that it's a combination of factors making one tap his feet though I'm of the opinion that it all lies in the groooooooove.
Drums, drums, drums, shuffling, syncopation, hats shuffling.
I love how Shed does this.
I'm learning also that how the bass works with the kick is also a key factor. When it melts into a track.

While on this subject I would love some tips on making a bass line fit.
LouisVee
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by LouisVee »

The fact that you are making instinctively "normal" music as you said, or IDM, well music that is not "easy danceable" does not make you a lesser good producer. It just means that you have more talent for this kind of music. So for you, making jacking music can be a challenge.

But, I guess, for producers who are instinctively making dancefloor oriented tracks (I'm not beeing pejorative), making IDM must be a challenge...

Personnaly, I try to melt together both aspect. When I produce, I try to imagine the track in a Club or in a party environment. For instance in the breakdown part, I try to do a nice 'build-up' of energy for people to dance when the kick and everything comes back... Or I try to make funky High Hats paterns, or snares, etc.
But my goal isn't to make a club oriented track. It is, probably like everybody on this board, to make original melodies, loops, usage of vocals, etc. to make my small contribution to the scene. I think by sticking to the kind of music you like you make a bigger contribution to the scene than making those "Made In China" club oriented tracks"!
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

i tend to write drum parts independent of eachother, instead of say making the hi hat fit the bass drum pattern. when each drum part is done being carefully mouseclick-handcrafted i put them all together. the result is sexy shuffling 2-step action much of the time.

groove and funk are all about what you don't play. keep it simple, the toe-tap, danceable, sexiness will create itself.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: is creating really jacking music the biggest challange?

Post by oblioblioblio »

regler wrote:I just ask myself this question since a short time.... is making music which wants to make you dance and move your body the biggest challange?

for me it is, I find it way more easy to make "normal" music, beautiful cinematic music, sad music with temping chords and melodies or so called IDM than making a jacking house tune which gives you that "I have to dance to that tune" feeling.

is it just me? I thought about if the reason for this is just the fact that I have more talent at other music areas or in other words... that making jacking dance music is not my talent.
music is really funny about what structure you need to make it work, and what you don't. I guess it depends on your aims. I think some people just make the music that they wanna make naturally, and it already is appealing and functional?

Maybe for others it's different. I certainly feel like if I just make the sounds that I wanna make that it's not really dance music, and not really ambient. And not really the right format to be functional. This drifty in between.

I definitely believe that you shouldnt feel like there is any pressure to make a kind of music that doesn't come naturally to you. Let the people who enjoy making funky music make funky music. But I do believe that you need to take some steps to make your music accessible. Sonic Youth are a good example... they were extremely experimentally inclined, raw as fck, but the structure of their music was basically simple punk rock. I don't think their music would've worked without that balance.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

For me, there has to be the funk in there. I see that as the groove, rather than specific funk associations. At the end of the day, Im of the opinion that you should go with whatever is natural to you.

My own desire is to make funky, yet musically interesting music, thats what appeals to me and thats where I will try and go every time. I much prefer a track with shuffled grooves than straight but im not sure what 'jacking' is in this context. Its a word I associate with House.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

AK wrote: im not sure what 'jacking' is in this context. Its a word I associate with House.
Shed - Boom Room is a great example. Pounding yet funky too = jacking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKf2ibxoMf0
Some music:
www.myspace.com/cloakmusic

Reviews, news and more:
www.inverted-audio.co.uk
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

is creating really jacking music the biggest challange ?

no not really,

the biggest challenge is getting everything in your track exactly right, not just the groove.

its no good just focussing on one element, producing quality music is way more complex and hard to get right than most people think.

thats why only a handfull of tunes ever get to be classics.

jacking house was mostly down to the 909 shuffles, ok thats an over simplification, but using that number 5 shuffle gets you a long way towards that groove, with a bit of syncopation thrown in.

but funk groove is more to do with human musicianship, and natural modulation of tempo which is not easy to achieve when your music has to be mixed by DJs. that will always make your music more rigid than real funk.