(Synth stabs) Tyree - T's Revenge It Takes A Thief

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

(Synth stabs) Tyree - T's Revenge It Takes A Thief

Post by N - Jay »

Guys,

That synth sound, it's that old school sound. I've got no idea how to recreate it in a soft-synth. Is it because of the typical analog synth that's being used that it is not possible to mimic it on a software basis?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8V8AxhjIYA
Casanova808
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Casanova808 »

Sample a chord hit with a 12bit sampler(SP1200 in this case), transpose it chromatically, run it through a cheap 80's rackmount digital reverb and record it to tape.
pafufta816
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by pafufta816 »

Casanova808 wrote:Sample a chord hit with a 12bit sampler(SP1200 in this case), transpose it chromatically, run it through a cheap 80's rackmount digital reverb and record it to tape.
great lofi sound. it's also semi microtonal to do this.

the way the ratio of frequencies work out in the music scale, are slightly shifted, exponentially. this is from rounding decimal places. if we sample a chord on a piano, say C major, with notes C E G. if you then playback this sample of the chord at a 3rd for example, the transposed notes are now E G# B. the E in this chord would be diatonic, but the G# and B would come out slightly sharp. probably not noticable, but listen to older house tracks and you can hear the drift in pitch with sampled chords.
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Ok thanks, that's a good description but not practical.
The SP 1200 is a legend and not affordable at the moment.
It's an analog way of working so I'm guessing you like working with analog equipment. So this warmth and drift is not possible in a digital way?
::BLM::
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by ::BLM:: »

The new Battery and Maschine has updates that are meant to sound like the the SP1200. I have been doing a lot of research on it, and its meant to be spot on.
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by N - Jay »

Thank BLM.

That will be the way to go then for me. Next purchase is on the list ;)