Do you ever think about unlearning?

- ask away
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Do you ever think about unlearning?

Post by eggnchips »

Hey guys,
Do you ever listen to your old productions like I do and admire how wreckless, carefree you were?
miro pajic
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by miro pajic »

sometimes yes!
boudo
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by boudo »

I'm listening to an old track right now, and it's really good actually
eggnchips
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by eggnchips »

As I've become more experienced, I realise also that I've become more harsh on myself with my own personal rules and restrictions.
I remember when I started out, I would sift through my Itunes and throw songs into Ableton, using snippets here and there, changing sounds completly, etc.
Over time I've come to dislike the use of Mp3's and I therefore try to be more musical, creating my own stuff.
Looking back, it all seemed so easy then to get ideas going fast as I didn't care if it worked or not, I would just try it out.
Maybe being more musical will pay off in the long run.

Just wondered how you guys feel about the rules you set to yourselves.
Last edited by eggnchips on Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

^^^^you werent actually writing music then, you were just jigsawing together other peoples music.

Its kinda similar to what I did in the beginning, although I was pretty fluent on a keyboard way before I ever got into composition. I had an early midi set up, running on steinberg pro 24 and used to just copy tracks, I recall doing LF0 by LF0, it sounded sh!t though, really really sh!t. I was using a boss dr550 and a roland d5, awful.

Theres not really anything Id unlearn though, I knew some classical theory before I composed music and its pretty useless but theres no reason to unlearn it. A lot of its forgotton anyway.

In terms of production, nothing. Im a knowledge freak and want to know everything and why this or why that. So in that sense, im the opposite.
oblioblioblio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by oblioblioblio »

i think i know where you're coming from. i had a few golden months where i had just got into full on producing... didn't really know what i was doing. quite a lot of sampling, arpegiators and mutated presets (and weed). kind of a honeymoon or something.

i think if you always keep moving creatively, you'll get that feeling again of just walking into a big open space and being all excited as you look around for the first time.

in some ways I think that the best music comes from when you've been looking around for a while, and you know where everything is.
regler
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by regler »

eggnchips wrote:As I've become more experienced, I realise also that I've become more harsh on myself with my own personal rules and restrictions.
I remember when I started out, I would sift through my Itunes and throw songs into Ableton, using snippets here and there, changing sounds completly, etc.
Over time I've come to dislike the use of Mp3's and I therefore try to be more musical, creating my own stuff.
Looking back, it all seemed so easy then to get ideas going fast as I didn't care if it worked or not, I would just try it out.
Maybe being more musical will pay off in the long run.

Just wondered how you guys feel about the rules you set to yourselves.
yep I know what you mean. That's why I can't decide if I hate the vinyl lovers or the mp3 creators or both :-). Sampling from vinyl is a common thing and I was shocked a long time ago when I discoverd that 70% form some of my fav tunes was just sampled from old records. But I can't sample a riff or something from a mp3 without having a major headache especially for idealistic quality reasons. I'm a bit audiophile, but this format discussion does harm the music more then it helps. Therefore most music is useless for sampling today.
Dusk
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Dusk »

Agree 100% with this post.

Every technical step forward I've made, seems to have been accompanied by a creative step backwards.