about cdj 800 , how much it sucks and some noob questions!

- open
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

about cdj 800 , how much it sucks and some noob questions!

Post by junger »

Hi,

today i got a cdj 800! i bought it for 300 euros, to be finally able to jam with my digital music! its all bought in 320 kbps!

I was quite excited and curious about it so i started out playing some stuff mixed vinyl and some stuff from cd and what can i say..... i hate it!!

it sounds sh!t in my opinion, something bothers me....... i feel lost in all the digital tracks... didnt get a flow in the session.. (ok thats not the cdjs fault .... but still, with the vinyls i think on the long term you start building up a relation to each wax...this wont happen to burned cd with 10 tracks or so i guess..)

oh and why is the output so loud compared to the sound from the shure m447 ?? i have to turn the gain real low... is that normal??

jesus i really think of just resell that thing and stick to vinyl.. but what with all the gems i could never own on vinyl that are in my digital collection?? should i go with serato?

im confused, i waited so long to finally own one of these fuckers!
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

using a cd with a bunch of data tracks? that's a really pointless idea. that's definitely part of your problem.

and you've never noticed that a line level is tons lounder than a phono level?
doctor, doctor, this city's sick
a tired, tired heart, such shakey lips

http://soundcloud.com/cloutier
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

i make audio cds! no data cds... and the thread says noob questions so dont be suprised. thanks for the hints ....
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

ok...so you upconverted 320kbps mp3's to wav?

that's the problem. you took a compressed file and uncompressed it.

junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

well the two tts and the cdj are all in line. i tryed the cdj in phone and i didnt make much of a difference.....

well , i never heard of any other way to make a cd for a cdj than just burn a normal audio cd... how would you do it?

again thanks for the advice
cloutier
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by cloutier »

you should never plug a line level in to a phono. that's really not a smart idea.

ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

firstly plug your CDJ into the line input
and plug your turntable into the phono input....

they can't be mixed... they must always be plugged into these inputs... else you get crazy levels...

turntable inputs need to be amplified... that's why you have special phono inputs... (phono is the old skool term for turntables.) the technical reason why is on wikipedia..

CDJs don't need to be amplified... because its not a record.. it just outputs correctly...

don't be put off by coutier... there's nothing wrong with burning mp3 as an audio cd... its completely fine... nothing should fck up...
Last edited by ChrisCV on Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

so that's the technical stuff...

the other thing... relationships with vinyl....

you're completely right... having a relationship with a vinyl record is completely different to one with a CD

when i rub my willy on vinyl i can feel every groove and bump in the record... plus i can look at the vinyl sleeve whilst i'm doing it... something easy on the eyes to see you home innit...

whilst doing it with CDs... they're just blank shiny generic discs. there's no feel..its so clinical.. and whilst you can have a taste of everything like some gigolo, at the end of the day you just feel like a used empty prostitute.

you talk about moving to serato... but to be fair that's no different to CDs... it looks like vinyl... feels like vinyl... except... its the same bit of vinyl that you use over and over again... before long you get bored of rubbing you wily on the same bit of plastic... and eventually you go blind because instead of looking at the same boring sleeve you're now straining your eyes over a computer screen looking at rows in a table containing track names...

but hey... nothings perfect... you're a DJ... you've got these formats to make the most of them.... rub your willy as best you can... each way has advantages and disadvantages.... just organise and structure it in a way that you can get over the disadvantages