please HELP me!!!!

- ask away
Cj-Mental
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

please HELP me!!!!

Post by Cj-Mental »

I'm creating in Fl studio and i have many problems with tracks. I want to creating Minimal tech house but I have very little experience in the work and it turns out not all. Here is an example that I have obtained http://spaces.ru/files/?name=apomuc;sid ... d=13596961

Here is my email address "prismotroff2011@yandex.ua"
Please listen and help me understand. if necessary, I give a draft of this track in order for you to proofread. I am from Russia but sdes nobody wants to help me
Last edited by Cj-Mental on Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AK
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by AK »

Just keep on making music and you will develop experience over time. Unfortunately, there's no short-cuts to being able to write and produce your own stuff and that's been the same for everyone.

Theres actually no question in your post, what are you wanting help with?
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

FL Studio can certainly produce professional quality results. It's very intuitive, which is good for beginners. Producer Edition or greater plus a few plugins should be enough to get the job done. 8)
AK wrote:Just keep on making music and you will develop experience over time. Unfortunately, there's no short-cuts to being able to write and produce your own stuff and that's been the same for everyone.
+1
Cj-Mental
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

mnml mmbr

Post by Cj-Mental »

Now I'm studying music theory and ear training .. Do I help it? I also think that with fl studio can achieve high quality results
Cj-Mental
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cj-Mental »

I have such a problem. I do track. Bass line is obtained and the melody does not fit ..
Cj-Mental
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cj-Mental »

and yet I have obtained party Percussion
Cj-Mental
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by Cj-Mental »

drums
Hades
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Hades »

ok, I listened a few times to your track.

I think you have mainly 2 big problems :

1. your sounds and melodies don't match with one another. and they're not very great sounds mostly.

2. your drums are rather boring.

the first lead sound in your track is a very typical mnml lead,
which is fine if you want to be doing just that, but it's a bit cliché of course.
and I think you're bringing in a whole melody too soon.
bring it in slowly, one step at a time, and make it less complex.

I think the snare sound sucks in this track, please just take another one.
and don't put so much reverb on a snare if you want to make minimal.
you need that snare to be tighter than a 18 year old's pussy.
also very important : turn of your grid, and move the notes of your snare one or two ticks forward in time, that way your groove will be better because the transients of your snare will come in a few milliseconds before your kick. this is a big tip that a lot of people seem to miss, try it out, it helps a lot.

I really didn't like the kick sound either, too cheezy.
take something darker maybe.

your bass was really well done.
Honestly, the bass was the best part of the whole track in my opinion.
It's like you totally figured out what minimal is with your bassline, but then fucked up with most of the other parts.
keep the bass, it's perfect.
simple yet very effective, and it creates a great groove.
the melodies you create with your other sounds are mostly too complex and not catchy enough, make them more simple !!

your hi-hats aren't really bad, but not enough change going on.
plus I would take a higher pitched sound and make them shorter, this leaves more room for the other sounds.
try putting a highpass filter on it and and LFO changing the cutoff.
subtle change is very important. the human ear gets tired really soon if it hears something too repetitive for too long.

the sound you bring in around 01:00
I don't know. first of all, again too much melody (or I should really say : too many notes), and not an interesting melody either, but most of all, just a cheezy sound. I would take that out completely and put something else in. It reminds me too much of cheap dance music made around '94 or something.

The percussion you bring in is again too repetitive. bring in subtle change.
and take a few notes out. less is more.

you know, sometimes you can create a melody out of 2 or 3 sounds, instead of just one.
You're not that great in creating melody or picking sounds which fit together.

Do you know your sound synthesis ?
If not, LEARN IT BY HEART !!!!
by learning it thoroughly, you'll learn to program original sounds on any subtractive synth and sampler (and if you hang in there long enough maybe on FM or additive or anything more exotic synthesis-wise).
I think that will help you a lot more than checking out music theory.
(I'm originally a classical pianist, but my sound synthesis knowledge comes in way more handy than my music theory knowledge, trust me)

also, try investing in some gear.
maybe people will tell you you'll do fine with only a few plugins and all that, and to a certain point they are right.
and for the moment, at where you are now, I think you will do fine with what you have. but it is a fact that getting good gear will give you better sounds.
it's not a guarantee that you'll create better tracks, but you will get better sounds for your tracks, that's for sure.

anyways, just my 2 cts.
hope it helps. :)

and have some patience, I don't know how long you've been doing this, but don't expect to be making anything really decent the first 2 or 3 years you're into this.