Licensing & Contract Questions: Remix

- ask away
libertine
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Licensing & Contract Questions: Remix

Post by libertine »

Hi Guys

Just wanted to hear your thoughts about this theme.

I got 2 tracks completely ready. I know they are pretty good and can be released on a good label in my area. But my biggest dream would be, to release it on one of my favorite record labels. So I thought of getting one of my tracks remixed by a known artist to add value to my potential release.

In the next days I will now contact two or three of my favorite artists, and check if they are interested to do a remix. Certainly one of them will do a remix.

What should I consider? How does it work normally?

Do I pay him X Dollars and then I get the full rights of this track? (This would be the best for me.) Or does he earn on the sellings of the track?

I think I should defînitely make a contract with the remixer. Do you know where to get advise on this theme? I think, because the artist doesn't do that his first time, he will already have some contracts?

Hope to get some advise from you.

Cheers
patrick bateman
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: Licensing & Contract Questions: Remix

Post by patrick bateman »

libertine wrote:
Do I pay him X Dollars and then I get the full rights of this track? (This would be the best for me.) Or does he earn on the sellings of the track?
Well, that's what you agree on how to do it. It can work both ways.
You can probably google remix contracts, music contracts etc...
(or send me a pm with your email addy and I can send you a draft)
kdgh
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by kdgh »

you can use contracts, but it's way more easy to just pay a certain amount of money. If you both agree, then it's no big deal right ?