Multiple melodic content at the same time (no freq. mask?)

- ask away
N - Jay
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Multiple melodic content at the same time (no freq. mask?)

Post by N - Jay »

When you start producing you start listening to tracks instead of hearing it.
Now I'm wondering how you could layer multiple leads in the form of stabs, piano and pads at the same time in a track. I hear tracks where these elements play at the same time and yet they don't collide.

There is the way of different octaves. C3 piano, C4 Strings etc etc. But the piano harmonics are eventually overlapping the C4 strings.
The fundamental is a notes' strongest part.

Should I make a cut in the Piano EQ for the Strings fundamental and boost the strings fundamental?

How should I approach this?

(I've used Strings and Piano but it could be anything melodic)
Stomper
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by Stomper »

i dont understand. is this a composition question or a mixing question?
as for composition, get your chord progression done first and build the other instruments around it.
as for mixing, there will always be some overlaps in the harmonics. as long as there is no masking it will sound good. that whats matter.
you can pan to avoid it. you could even sidechain one to the other.
you can change a note or mute or note. if it doesnt sound good experiment until you find something that does work.
JonasEdenbrandt
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by JonasEdenbrandt »

Also a melodic part that plays a note in the current chord dosen't mask persay. This is how all harmonic music works. You play notes that are in the current chord.
Phurniture
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Phurniture »

If you have a sustained sound such as strings or a synth pad, you can usually get away with other melodic elements over top of it if they are staccato, such as stabs or piano. Even if the strings/pad sound is low in the mix, you'll be able to hear it between the staccato notes.

Other ways to manage multiple melodic parts:

-program parts that don't play many (or any) of the same notes at the same time
-if you're not too worried about mono-compatibility, you can pan the various melodic parts within the stereo spectrum
-different octaves (as you mentioned already)
-if you're synthesizing sounds, use different waveforms for the different parts (square vs saw)
- eq

But I think the best way to approach the situation is from an arrangement standpoint.