minimal article on pitchfork

- open
faunty
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

minimal article on pitchfork

Post by faunty »

Once again indie-americana Pitchfork has an article on minimal, while no earth shattering insights it's pretty well written and agreed for the most part.

I like how he describes villalobos music as "electro-acoustic astral journeys"

*strokes chin, does the minimal shuffle*

http://pitchforkmedia.com/features/them ... 4-06.shtml
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

from berlin to san francisco to om records. i don't see the relation.
Drop the idea of becoming someone else, because you are already a masterpiece.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

plaster wrote:from berlin to san francisco to om records. i don't see the relation.
Plaster - did you read the article?

"If ever there were any doubt that "minimal" had jumped its rubber squeeze-toy shark, the news that OM Records has released Electrolush, a compilation of "the very best of minimal and electro nouveau," is surely the red flag over the surf. OM, for the uninitiated, is a San Francisco label specializing in deep house, "soulful" hip-hop, and downtempo; it's fair to say that accessibility is one of its defining traits. That's not to say that OM is without its merits-- for every Kaskade, the sugary pop-house star, there's a Rithma or Lance DeSardi, West Coast producers of deep, focused house grooves. (Ok, maybe there's a Rithma or Desardi for every four Kaskades.) But you don't have to be a defender of the label to agree that there's something weird about supersaturated OM suddenly sticking up for minimal techno; it's telling that they still feel the need to counter "electro" with "lush.""

Once again a great article by Philip Sherburne.

Also check out:

http://www.squar3.com/

Trailer here

sQuare is making a character driven feature length documentary film called Speaking in Code. It draws viewers in to experience the emergent global independent electronic music scene overflowing with passionate, honest and unpredictable characters that break stereotype. Dance club goddesses, rambunctious bad boys, and robot builders who love to dance are among the cast of Speaking in Code characters. SiC features and follows influential DIY (Do It Yourself) innovators within this indie network: producers, DJs, software developers, promoters, writers and others who share a nearly religious devotion to music and a non-conformist, non-commercial ideal. SiC observes as some American electronic music promoters, DJs and writers struggle to pay the rent and face challenges like rockism and tired perceptions of electronic music while many indie dance labels in Europe experience overwhelming success with non-stop touring, recording, remixing and party making.

Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

a bit! but its confusing to see OM release such a compilation.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

plaster wrote:a bit! but its confusing to see OM release such a compilation.
Its super confusing and bordering on rediculous considering the roots of the label.

A perfect example of a label trying to be something its not or never was. If they stick to what they do best (deephouse) then people will appreciate them for that. But to come out with some FAUX electro / minimal comp is stupid.

Also dont get me wrong as they are responsible for putting out some decent music over the years.
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by plaster »

gillsans wrote:
plaster wrote:a bit! but its confusing to see OM release such a compilation.
Its super confusing and bordering on rediculous considering the roots of the label.

A perfect example of a label trying to be something its not or never was. If they stick to what they do best (deephouse) then people will appreciate them for that. But to come out with some FAUX electro / minimal comp is stupid.

Also dont get me wrong as they are responsible for putting out some decent music over the years.
yeah man, i'm following OM for a while now + mark farina's projects, that why am super comfused and would like to know what got into farina to release a minimal compilation. ofcourse, money, but with a status like OM i think you don't need this!
alland
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by alland »

i love the OM guys, they're all good friends of mine, but yeah aside from one friend of mine who now works there, they mostly all have been anti-tech from the get go, turning down remixes and originals that were "too techy" etc etc.

if i didnt have friends at their office/studio i would be quite a lot more upset that they're cashing in on mnml/ectro or whatever you call it now.

personally i saw the comp tracklist and was only interested in hearing one or two tracks off of it.

i sort of stopped caring about it, because who's really going to trust them for their taste in minimal???

oh yea... everybody who doesnt know themselves!

i say shrug it off. the less you think about it the less it exists ;-)

phil sherburne is a proper fella though. good guy, great writer.

a.
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

Yeah im not bothered by it - to each his own.

I just enjoyed the article.