i would love to find a reason why

- open
plaster
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

i would love to find a reason why

Post by plaster »

...is everything so temporary. speaking about electronic music. its incredibly how 2 month releases actually "get old" in the minds of the dj's. i'm trying to find a reason why that actually happened, but nothing comes on my mind.
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Re: i would love to find a reason why

Post by idealstandard »

plaster wrote:...is everything so temporary. speaking about electronic music. its incredibly how 2 month releases actually "get old" in the minds of the dj's. i'm trying to find a reason why that actually happened, but nothing comes on my mind.
+1 on this one.

It's like everything has to be always new: most of the tracks you get to hear in a DJ set are among the biggest hits of the time, like this music has no history or is just one month old, each new hit deleting the old one...
Sucks like hell IMO cause it gives the feeling that the music isn't actually that important, it's all about the trend, the promos or wtf. It ain't new though, it happened already 11 years ago.

I'll dare an answer but, please, this is not meant to be rude: could this possibly happen cause of the fact that the audience is a young one?

I mean, as an "old man" I don't go out this much anymore or I'll choose my DJ real carefully because of way to many lame party but I'll go out each damn day of the week if 7 years younger and would I do that, well, guess the music I'll hear would be one month old...
Looks like some kind of vicious circle :roll:
harass
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by harass »

It's just about trends, and people would have nothing to chin stroke over if everyone was playing older tracks.
dsat
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by dsat »

just look back in the past at other styles, how they developed

minimal is just so hyped that everyone and their cat is making minimal and minimal labels are mushrooming and saturating the market with mediocre releases which have a life expectancy of 3 months...
there's just too much minimal around these days
most of the timeless tracks have already been made so that the rest becomes kind of the flavour of the month... (including minus releases)

i've seen this happening to deep house where at a certain point it just lost originality and kept repeating itself,
same for techno by the end of 90's
same for electro begin 80's and nuskool electro 4-5 years ago

that's why i try to play a bit of everything and have all of my different influences merge in my sets, i buy whatever i like without having to blind myself on the latest minimal flicks
minimal music, maximal money! that's where we're heading now
long live the music industry! (yes i'm being sarcastic here)
idealstandard
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by idealstandard »

dsat wrote: most of the timeless tracks have already been made so that the rest becomes kind of the flavour of the month... (including minus releases)
Yeah, definitly.
There was a discussion in the 100th edition of De-Bug about "minimal" btw Wolfgang Voigt, Alva Noto and Bleed. At one point of the interview Voigt and Noto agreed on the statement that "all the best tracks have already been made". Scary but true, I guess.
Everything's been made for years, and the trend is just surfing on those old tracks without even naming them (including minus releases too).

Anyway, I won't be singing the "it was so much better years ago" song, it's still good today but then again, best thing I've heard so far in 2006 are the Mika Vainio repress, how about that?
fredrik_h
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by fredrik_h »

idealstandard wrote:
dsat wrote: most of the timeless tracks have already been made so that the rest becomes kind of the flavour of the month... (including minus releases)
Yeah, definitly.
There was a discussion in the 100th edition of De-Bug about "minimal" btw Wolfgang Voigt, Alva Noto and Bleed. At one point of the interview Voigt and Noto agreed on the statement that "all the best tracks have already been made". Scary but true, I guess.
Everything's been made for years, and the trend is just surfing on those old tracks without even naming them (including minus releases too).

Anyway, I won't be singing the "it was so much better years ago" song, it's still good today but then again, best thing I've heard so far in 2006 are the Mika Vainio repress, how about that?
Agree with both of you, and about the "all the best tracks has already been made"-statement, a friend of mine has a poster in his studio that says:

"everything you do, or will do has been made before - and better."

quite optimistic huh? ;)
Robot Criminal
mnml moderator
mnml moderator

Post by Robot Criminal »

well thats basically the same with visual art and film and such.
kinda makes me wanna kill myself. :roll:

and haha wolfgang voigt is indeed the man to say that all the best tracks have been made i mean listen to studio 1 its like 10 years old. I mean I didn'd even LISTEN music then. whatever.
Image we are all atomic and subatomic particles and we are all wireless...
gillsans
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by gillsans »

I've recently given up trying to compete with staying on top of the music. I've decided to go with what my heart and wallet tell me and stick to the beats that make me move.

I dont live in a town with techno clubs, minimal parties, or the chance to play out lots, so I have to stick with the odd new releases and enjoy the older ones too. It's funny how when you grab a record off the shelf thats about a year or so old it seems to make more sense then it did when it was new. I guess that's the difference with music that is timeless and music thats was made out of trend.

Be selective, Follow the heart, Be careful of the Labels section on mnml (its addicting - black crack), and enjoy the records that you do have...atleast this is what I tell myself. :)
Keepin' the beats deep in the groove bunker