Fresh_Meat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fresh_Meat »

Cotumo wrote:Downloading...

meanwhile you can tune in here:

http://www.mnml.nl/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12477
Hi Cotumo,

Thanks for that link - downloading now too :)

Great to see a big Netmusic protagonist participating on this thread - hope you will post some single tunes as well!

:)
ftc
mnml newbie
mnml newbie

Post by ftc »

14 tracks is good for a mix - if I should have put in all the Netlabel tunes that I like, the mix would have probably had 30 tracks or a couple more - but not too many, as argued above. The tracks in there are released from 2004 - 2006 and are just a subjective selection of "big" tunes. The term "big" is subjective too - basically tracks that we like. If you don`t agree, that`s cool with us.
it's not really a matter of agreement, but rather what you -- as the creator -- had as an objective while selecting these tunes. "big" or "best" is definitly subjective and that is precisely my point. if you could pinpoint your criteria, it would help the listener form a better understanding for the intention of the mix, which eventually coincides with the length aspect. my preconception was that this is a mix aiming to present "quality" netlabel releases (over a given number of years), so it could be much longer. because time is not the most important factor when the goal is to do justice to all your favorite tunes by including as many as necessary. but if the emphasis is on the mix as a whole and the tracks are the foundation for a certain aesthetic or direction, then you are probably right; 14 tracks is good for a mix. i just wanted to share my thoughts, thats all :?

ps.
Great to see a big Netmusic protagonist participating on this thread - hope you will post some single tunes as well!
if I remember correctly, dj l'embrouille had a monthly podcast featuring new netlabel releases. He could provide a good deal of help in this area, imo.
DJ L'embrouille
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by DJ L'embrouille »

ftc wrote: if I remember correctly, dj l'embrouille had a monthly podcast featuring new netlabel releases. He could provide a good deal of help in this area, imo.
yeah, you're almost right. it's not monthly but weekly :wink:

nevertheless, i don't understand the interest of a such topic here. after seeing this topic in other forums, i think i understand its goal. if no netlabel section exists in the forum where this topic is posted, it could have a sense. but here, in a section dedicated to netlabels, as Pheek said, it's perhaps non sense. if i like a release, i post a topic about this release but not in this topic. we can't make a topic with topics !

more, sticky topic exists here about best netlabel releases, netlabel radio session... so why create another one !

if people want to see my last selection and the tracks i like, they can just check the dj livesets section where i post my sets (yesterday i was released in pinksilver podcast) or my site (today i have my new set released in sonic walker).

about the number of tracks, personnaly i think that 14/15 is not enough to resume what i think to be quality stuff and to give an overview to maximum netlabels (the set in pinksilver podcast have 43 tracks).

to conclude, i have to say that i don't like the way this topic is done. tell that before 2006 there wasn't many great releases doesn't make good image of netlabel and don't resume the truth. quality depends on everyone. and are you sure you searched in the right place (only 5 netlabels represent in your set makes me skeptic)? i also find the tittle stupid.
Last edited by DJ L'embrouille on Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:27 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Ronny Pries
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Ronny Pries »

i like the BMI concept clubwise but find this 'salesmen' approach towards the netlabelscene offending in a way. BEST compressor, BEST car, BEST DJ, BEST club, BEST music? wtf. where is this heading to?

i'm under the impression that you wanna jump on the netlabel train without making your own hands dirty.

that doesn't work, mate.

ronny
phife
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by phife »

I have to aggree!! What is all this crap about quality and the best of all time mixtape. Like you are the king of all the DJ's "himself." As the saying goes, "someone's gabage is someone else's treasure. Don't come on here talking about you have selected the best tracks of all the netlabels. First off, netlabels release all different kinds of music. Different genres and sub-genres. So to go so far to say, for example, that this mnml track is the best out there and may be better than this chillout or house track is way off base. Second, different netlabels have different objectives. Art is art!!! We should be appreciate all the hard work and effort that these netlabel artists and owners do for exposure and expression. I don't think you know how you are sounding here. This isn't the beatport top ten yo!!! You don't need to come on here with that bull crap and we don't need any political stunts. If you want to promote your mix bro, just say here it is. Post a link and leave it at that. If it is any good, it will speak for itself. You don't have to say this is the one mix that feature the best tracks out of all the releases of all time. Or however you put it. People here in this scene, in this "community" put in hard work!!!! I respect everyones art even if it isn't to my taste.. Who are you to say what is best of all time???? Just my 2 cents!!!!

LOL

Marcus

http://www.randomaccessrecordings.com
mlexicon
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by mlexicon »

humility

its in the dictionary
_minimalnet_
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by _minimalnet_ »

hahahaha i am the best too hahaha 8) :lol: 8) :lol: i love me
Fresh_Meat
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by Fresh_Meat »

Hey ppl,

From your posts I can see there has been a little misunderstanding here - let me try to straighten this out.

I believe the title of this mix is too polemic for some: "Big" or "Biggest" is no objective judgement over the netlabel scene. This doesn`t mean, that these are the 14 biggest tracks and else there is only balls. It is just a selection of what we believe are well made tunes. There are more FOR SURE. And this is what this thread (and the threads in other forums) aim at: To compile big tunes. I have opened this thread in more forums to make sure there`s somewhere a discussion starting, and this forum is one of the very few ones. The polemic title was not without reason, if you know what I mean. And since we feel overwhelmed by the amount of Netlabel releases, million mixes or releases posted somewhere don`t help us out either in finding the real gems.

There`s no institution around that makes sense of the stimulus satiation in the Netlabel scene. In the commercial emelectronic music magazine you`ve got many magazines, charts etc that pre-select what might be a "good" tune. I understand that this is contradicting the values of some Netlabel protagonists, but there are some other too that want to catch attention with their tunes by releasing them on a Netlabel and maybe finding a commercial label to start living from their music.

Apart from some articles in magazines, the HUGE Netlabel scene hasn`t found any step into the public eye. Some artists made their way, many more very talented didn`t but would like to - but nobody finds their great tunes among many "not so great". And this "not so great" is a catch 22, as this leads to a disregard of Netlabel music in the public.

And my first posting never said that there were no great Net releases before 2006 - where did you read that out? The first posting says, that no single person has the human resources to find the big releases from 3 years ago among 5 million releases spread somehwere around the net.

And this BEST thing is only here to make you people participate. It is just a shell that needs to be filled - we`ve started with the tunes in the mix (5 netlabels + a couple of artists that make great music according to our perspective) and now we hope that you guys post some direct links to Netlabel tunes here as well and amend this little selection. The term BEST does not imply any higher truth of HQ music, tho it might sound to some like that.

And to find out the criteria from which the tunes are selected, you should listen to the mix. You will find out too, that this mix has not been done to show of mixing skills, as all the mixes are short. Also, you will find many long melodic elements and crunchy techhouse.

I hope this clears up some.

Have a good weekend

Jan