room accoustics.

- ask away
steevio
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by steevio »

as a basic guide to room acoustics,

its best if your room isnt too small ( below 70 cubic metres volume )
and that the height / length / width dimensions are as mathematically unrelated as possible.

this means you can have as many unrelated resonant modes as possible.

if you have a few strong resonances in your room, you will have problems.

rectangular rooms, with unrelated dimensions, and angled ceilings are good.

cubic rooms or rectangular rooms with a Length width ratio of 2:1 are the worst.
tone-def
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by tone-def »

i use headphones for 90% of the time and check on some decent hi fi speakers that are positioned wrong every so often. i don't think it's ideal because i think my mixes sounded better when i used them with my monitors. i'm not using my monitors because of a lack of space where i am. i'm getting better with the headphones though and i have to be disciplined and try and keep the volume down.

when i had a decent size room i worked on my monitors most of the time then put the headphones on for any EQ work and i'd try and get the mix sounding as good as i could on them. then i would switch back to monitors to see if anything was jumping out at me too much or if anything was too quiet.

you have to spend a lot of money on decent headphones. mine are £260 in digital village! don't use DJ headphones for producing! i got Sony MDR-V700 and they have some really weird EQ curve and percussion sounds totally different and unnatural on them.