about cdj 800 , how much it sucks and some noob questions!

- open
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

Robot Criminal wrote:you have to decode for output anyway, so... ? The same as decoding and writing to cd, no? The trouble ofcource might arise from re-encoding but I bet noones that stupid ;)
exactly
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

infernal.techno wrote:
junger wrote:would be interesting to hear some more views on the whole burning mp3s or not to audio cds etc dilemma..
i don't think there is a dilemma, just depends on what software you use to burn the cds. i play wavs and mp3s together all the time on medium-sized sound systems, and really there is not much of a different. if you are upconverting mp3 to wav, that is just a pointless process because you gain nothing.

dbpoweramp is my favorite windows application for file extension conversion. flac, wav, mp3, aac, m4a, etc.

also, are you throwing up in your avatar?
no actually its a record cover of some dude on the balcony of the robert johnson in offenbach...

the record is Mladen & MSO - Looking for god, check it out its fun...

about the rest you said. so what extension would i convert my files into before burning them on cd??
ChrisCV
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by ChrisCV »

junger wrote:about the rest you said. so what extension would i convert my files into before burning them on cd??
don't convert them to anything.... just let the burner do it all on the fly...
there's no point putting them into another format.. it wastes space, time and effort.
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

infernal.techno wrote:the cdj800 operates rather fine, just like its bigger counterparts, sure. the display on the unit sucks, so you really have to know breakdowns of your tracks if that's the kind of thing you pay attention to when playing vinyl.
thats what i love about vinyl, you can prepare the tracks speed and than you are completly free, so you can tease with parts from the next track for example and than put the needle right where you need it when you make your transition.

i know thats also possible with the cue button but it feels like a limitation to me...
trak660
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by trak660 »

Themis wrote:
trak660 wrote:If the CD channel is louder, you'll just have to turn the vinyl channels up to match. :)

If I bought the wav every time, I'd need so many hard drives! :lol: Unless it's really special, I'm going 320.
what are you talking man, a 1 TB Harddisk costs about 60 €

the average file size of a WAV is 80-100 MB

so thats a minimum of 10.000 files per 60 € harddisk .. how many hard drives do you need for your collection?
Maybe I'm exagerating a little :lol: I don't even have 10,000 digital tracks.
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

pafufta816 wrote:
a lot of the time there's stuff that's not happening on freq ranges, stuff that you wouldn't normally hear or there's stuff that's the same from the sample before (ie a long tone that stretches out... why hold the same info over and over again?)... Despite this, an uncompressed format will store data about everything on each sample because it has too... technically we don't have to if we can infer that information... and that's what mp3 does... it tries to remove data for areas where it can reconstruct through inference.
yes i know this already. we can discuss the merits of mp3, but your missing my point i wasn't discussing the validity of mp3 at all. i overspoke my point chris. to paraphrase what i meant to say;

"burning mp3's to tracks on an audio cd = bad"
"256kbps + quality for mp3 is ok, if you are playing it as an mp3"
"reencoding file formats = bad" <-- even if you do reencode to a higher quality format it's still mega-bad, never do this PLZ. anyone who works professionally with audio would say the same.

what happens when you reencode:

Bob.mp3, a 320 kbps MP3, approx 10 meg.
*to burn this as a cd track we will convert it back to wave (which is what all cd burning software does), so now we have

Bob.wav, a 44khz/16 bit Wave, approx 100 meg. which has been encoded a total of 2 times now. the fact that it's be en/de/encompressed is the problem i was discussing.

to say that Bob.wav is of equal quality as Bob.mp3 isn't true. Bob.mp3 was already encoded as an mp3. when we convert it to a larger wave format we actually have to Decode it first, then finally dump that info into a Wave file. the back and forth switching of file formats will kill the sound quality of any piece of audio, and this again is something i have taken note of from speaker set ups in various buildings with differing types of systems (cd/mp3/satellite), juke boxes/cars/restaraunts/pubs.

Chris you assumed i was anti-MP3, this is definitely not the case. instead i was proposing a set of values and beliefs in audio quality. some points i mentioned where things to avoid. i didn't say "never play mp3's or you suck". i said "watch your audio quality or it will run away from you and it will be noticable despite that it sounds okay on your iPod."

and yeah, i know it's like "this guy is full of it" but i don't want to hear anyone podcast or dj low quality mp3 files. if i heard some kid playing over-compressed poor quality tunes i would probably find another pub/club to enjoy myself at.

With all due respect, this is a load of bollocks. Decoding an mp3 back to WAV results in absolutely no quality degradation. Every mp3 player or piece of audio software does this internally anyway, because your audio hardware needs uncompressed, streamed data (ie like WAV/AIFF). Burning audio CDs from mp3s is therefore absolutely fine and you will not degrade the quality of the signal any further in doing so.

Of course, if you then rip the CD and encode to mp3 again, yes, that's bad news.
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
damagedgoods
mnml mmbr
mnml mmbr

Post by damagedgoods »

edit: double post
o b j e k t

www.keinobjekt.de
junger
mnml maxi
mnml maxi

Post by junger »

for me, from now on i will buy wav because i think now it should be the motivation to offer the best sound possible. i wont buy my old stuff again though, maybe only a handfull of selected tracks ... apart from that, the difference between vinyl 320 cds and wav/flac cds i can hardly reckon on the system i play on mostly right now... but its there. but when you mix mostly vinyl 320s and wavs, the difference gets pretty much lost in the whole package, at least as far as i can tell...